$600 I5 Non-Gaming System

Hi, I've been reading here for several weeks; you guys are amazing!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 1 week
BUDGET RANGE: $500-$600 USD Before Rebates. Prefer no rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Very heavy internet research (6-8 windows, 40-50 tabs in each), Writing and testing code, Heavy Word/Excel/Access/Outlook usage, listening to music, watching videos (an occassional movie). No Gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case/PSU - I just received Antec Sonata III with stock (earthwatts 500W) PSU. I have keyboard, mouse, monitors (2 X Acer 22in), Windows 7 Pro 64, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com (live in Calif, so pay tax & shipping), amazon (no tax/shipping), anywhere else COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: So far I am liking Intel I5, Gigabyte
OVERCLOCKING: Not really, but my mind could be changed. I was planning on just the stock cooler
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Nope

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2X 1680X1050, at some point I think I would like to add a 3rd monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm struggling with the choice of GPU. I don't think I need something very powerful and may be able to save some money here. The card must be able to power 2 monitors (either VGA or DVI or 1 of each). At some point in the future I would like to add a 3rd monitor. Also, I'm leaning towards 8GB of memory. Seems like most builds here recommend 4GB. Is 8GB really overkill? Seems like everytime I have upgraded a PC in the past 6 years, the first thing I do to solve problems is double the memory...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts I'm considering:

MB / CPU Combo:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.246589

Memory:
x2? G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

GPU: This Sapphire 4670 has a DVI, VGA, and HDMI port. I can only use 2 at once right, not all 3?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102854

Thanks for any suggestions!
11 answers Last reply
More about gaming system
  1. Nice build. It looks great so far. :)
  2. Thanks, I'm sure it looks familiar, reading your posts convinced me on the CPU/MB/Memory. Any ideas on a video card? Is there a $50 card that would give me what I need?
  3. Reading the comments on newegg for the I5-750 has convinced me I should get an aftermarket cooler now rather than later. If anyone has some suggestions for an inexpensive one, it would be appreciated. Seems the stock cooler really is terrible.
  4. gotnogames said:
    Thanks, I'm sure it looks familiar, reading your posts convinced me on the CPU/MB/Memory. Any ideas on a video card? Is there a $50 card that would give me what I need?


    Make these changes....

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231274 $79.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500062 $49.99 ($34.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    ZOTAC ZT-95TEH2P-FSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
  5. Getting ready to jump - just saw this:

    EWIZ has the Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Socket LGA 1156 Quad-Core Processor (RETAIL) for $183.00 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: FUN15 (Exp 9/30). Tax in FL, IL.

    Combo with the gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 comes to $284.99 free shipping
  6. gotnogames said:
    Getting ready to jump - just saw this:

    EWIZ has the Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Socket LGA 1156 Quad-Core Processor (RETAIL) for $183.00 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: FUN15 (Exp 9/30). Tax in FL, IL.

    Combo with the gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 comes to $284.99 free shipping


    Nice find! :)
  7. Why_Me said:
    Make these changes....

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231274 $79.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500062 $49.99 ($34.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    ZOTAC ZT-95TEH2P-FSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail


    Not sure that memory is compatible with the gigabyte board. It is not on the 'approved' list and one of the newegg commenters said:

    "Cons: Would not work reliably in my Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Core-i5 motherboard. Frequent BSODs in both Windows 7 RC and Windows XP. Problem solved when I switched to Gigabyte-approved memory supplier. Now I'm stuck with RAM I can't use and no longer have the packaging for."
  8. Heres where I am:

    MB / CPU Combo:
    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
    GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.246589
    $285 at EWIZ

    Memory:
    x2? G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189
    $85 (4G) OR $170 (8G)

    GPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500062 6814500062 $49.99 ($34.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    ZOTAC ZT-95TEH2P-FSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    $50 or $35 after rebate

    All in an Antec Sonata III case that I have already. Win 7 Pro 64 coming.

    That leaves about $80-$100 for a hard drive and DVD drive. Any opinions on 8G vs. 4G RAM? I think many would suggest 4G of RAM and getting a better video card. If that is better for my uses, I would be open to it. If the video card I have now and 8G would be better, let me know that too. Opinions on aftermarket cooler vs. stock for a non-gaming machine? Anywhere else I can cut costs?

    Thanks

    **Edit** Links fixed
  9. Your links are broken. I would go with the G.Skill Ripjaws Series RAM suggested by Why_Me. You can't put any weight behind Newegg reviews. That was most likely just a noob that couldn't figure out how to manually set the RAM values in the BIOS. The Ripjaws series are designed for the i5 and i7 chips and will work fine with your motherboard. They offer faster timings at a lower voltage for only $4 more than the kit you linked above. That's a no-brainer IMO.
  10. Links fixed.

    Thanks for the information, I noticed many recommendation for the ripjaws, so I thought the newegg review might have been a user mistake, but wasn't sure. I will make the change.
  11. gotnogames said:
    Links fixed.

    Thanks for the information, I noticed many recommendation for the ripjaws, so I thought the newegg review might have been a user mistake, but wasn't sure. I will make the change.


    There's several people on here using those "ripjaws" along with that same mobo you have and it all works fine. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product