TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hey, im planning on buying a new harddrive, and i was wondering if its possible to transfer over my operating system so i dont have to buy a new one? if so how? :) cheers

tecmo34

Administrator
You can clone your current drive to place on the new drive, which should eliminate the need for a reinstall. Some programs to use include:
* Norton Ghost
* Acronis True Image

I actually did the same thing 2 weeks ago.It will work but it takes a very long time.I moved the Windows OS to the new drive and a few other applications.But some of the applications kinda freak out so you might have to reinstall them.Simple drag and drop.

TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
So i could put the whole drive onto an external hard drive and once ive booted up my new computer with the new hard drive i can simply drag acrosss the say for instance " c " drive and the OS will come with it? :)

Actually no.I forgot that you cannot copy over the OS because windows is using it.You'll have to re-install windows on that HD but everything else you can copy over.Or what tecmo34 said use one of those programs so you don't have to reinstall.

I would reccomend staying with Windows 7.It's a lot less buggy than Vista.And you should only need the 32-bit version.

Do you have RAM already to add to or are you buying that RAM for a new system?
Are you sure it's the right RAM for the mobo?

It depends about the rest of your system for a bottleneck.What CPU do you have?

Zenthar

Distinguished
With a 32 bits OS you maximum RAM will be slightly less than 4GB, probably in the range of 3.5-3.75GB depending if your video card uses part of the RAM.

Moreover, an OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not the HDD it was installed on so you can legally install it on another HDD on the same PC. However, I think many OEM ship them preactivated so I don't know how easily it can be reinstalled if you could get a hold of an installation DVD (license # should be on a sticker somewhere on the PC). A Windows 7 license is also valid for both 32 and 64 bits so switching should cause any licensing issue. I suggest you contact your PC's manufacturer and ask them how you should proceed to reinstall if you change the HDD; they might send you a "kit" for a few dollars (~20-30$).

TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
in that case i may aswell purchase a 64 bit edition, due to the fact i cant find any possible way of getting my OS onto the new hard drive, even after contacting acer :(

Zenthar

Distinguished
64 bits OS can use a tremendous amount of memory (over 16 Exabytes I think), but Windows imposes "artifical limitation" based on version; home premium is limited to 16 GB.