Sign in with
Your question

How much of an improvement does overclocking over 4.3 GHZ give a 2600k

Last response: in Overclocking
January 3, 2012 1:02:54 PM

I am upgrading my Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus to a Noctua NH-D14 because my temperatures are too close to 72 degrees Celsius and it's not even summer yet. So right now I am running @ 4.3 GHZ with 1.248 volts according to CPU-Z when running prime 95. I am a little confused because I see my voltage around 1.3v at times when I first start up my computer for example. I am not sure why my voltage would not be at it's highest according to CPU-Z when prime 95 is running?

But my question is how much of a performance gain would be achieved from going over 4.3 GHZ? 4.3 GHZ seems very fast to me, but do other users see a real worthwhile gain from going higher? My main use is gaming, but I do occasional video and audio encoding, or online streaming of games.

I think with my new cooler I will be able to go higher then 4.3 GHZ pretty easily. But I am wondering if the gains are worth it. Or is 4.3 GHZ a great speed to stay at?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 2:07:18 PM

tokadub said:
I am upgrading my Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus to a Noctua NH-D14 because my temperatures are too close to 72 degrees Celsius and it's not even summer yet. So right now I am running @ 4.3 GHZ with 1.248 volts according to CPU-Z when running prime 95. I am a little confused because I see my voltage around 1.3v at times when I first start up my computer for example. I am not sure why my voltage would not be at it's highest according to CPU-Z when prime 95 is running?

But my question is how much of a performance gain would be achieved from going over 4.3 GHZ? 4.3 GHZ seems very fast to me, but do other users see a real worthwhile gain from going higher? My main use is gaming, but I do occasional video and audio encoding, or online streaming of games.

I think with my new cooler I will be able to go higher then 4.3 GHZ pretty easily. But I am wondering if the gains are worth it. Or is 4.3 GHZ a great speed to stay at?

What load line are you using? 1-5... 1 being the highest constant voltage and 5 being lowest... Cpu under Bios is always higher so don't worry. 1.24v @ 4.3 is above average and you should be happy as long as it's stable. Typically, most can hit 4.5ghz on stock voltage with the 2600K, when I do I set my LLC to 3. Higher I set the LLC to 1 and use offset.

To answer your question, there isn't much difference between 4ghz and 5ghz other than e-peen. On GPU demanding stuff I run @ 4ghz and CPU bound stuff @ 4.5+ghz... nowadays, apps like photoshop use the GPU so OC'ing CPU is less important, but for games like flight Sim. or Skyrim you'll see an improvement being OC'd.
m
l
!