Michaelx209

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
my video card doesnt work well it does but i got a Dell Deminsion 4700 and i plug it up to my PC but it doesnt read it? evne tho i said it on auto it reads my mobo only and its not my video card cause i got a GEforce 6600gt and my ATI its all PCI E video cards and i cant make it work? please help me. do i adjust in BIOS?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

first of all the 6000s are all AGP, not PCI E as it hasn't even came out when those cards were launched
2. the BIOS is not supposed to say what graphics card you have. if you don't see your gpu listed in it that doesn't means it's not reading it.
3. does your OS boots?, if it does then make sure you UNISTALLED the 6600gt drivers, then install the 8800gt's drivers. if it doesn't boot with the new card but it does with the old one then it's the new card itself that is screwed up

Apart from the MSI 6600GT PCIe ( and a couple of others)
2x_6600gt.jpg

Source

rockyjohn

Distinguished
LOL - and I have a BFG 6600GT PCIe card in my old Dell 8400.

Michael - PLease provide more info.
What did you have in your system before when it was working?
And you are now trying to install the 6600GT?
What are the complete make and model on new and old cards?

Did you follow the installation instructions to remove the old video drivers, shut down the system, install the new card, and load the new driver when requested?

Alternatively, were you on some onboard video before?
You might also have a power supply issue. What is the size on your machine? [edit - see later post down 3 on this]

4745454b

Titan
6600GT did exist when PCIe came out. The 6800GT was mostly AGP, while the 6600GT was mostly PCIe. There were a few exceptions to this, but its mostly correct. Let me put my decoder ring on and see whats comes up.

my video card doesn't work. Well it does but i got a Dell Deminsion 4700 and i plug it up to my PC but it doesnt read it? Even though i set it on auto it reads my mobo only. Iits not my video card cause i got a GEforce 6600gt and my ATI its all PCI E video cards and i cant make it work? please help me. do i adjust in BIOS?

I think that's as good as I can get it. It makes some sense to me until you get to the "and my ATI" part, at which point the wheels fall off. There is also no mention of the 8800GT, other then the post title. I get the feeling he has a video card in there, but it's still using the onboard video? That or there is some issue with his motherboard not being able to use the new card. Perhaps someone else will be able to see something I didn't. (or the OP will come back after he is done doing crack/found someone who can type English.)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The Dell 4700 comes standard with a 305w PSU.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4700/sm/specs.htm

My BFG 6600GT requires 350w - and I think that was pretty standard. That could be the problem right there. Although, I think I remeber seeing people bragging about running 6600GTs on their systems even though the minimums were not me. But that does not mean all will work. Also a PSU loses a small amount of power over time and it could be enought to make a difference if there was not one before. The power supply issue is a common one for people trying to upgrade a Dell.

Have you upgraded the PSU?
What other components are installed on your system?

Michaelx209

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
thanks dude alot yeah i know i was typing it up really fast sorry but ur right u know alot about everything thanks ur awesome but its cool i guess gotta put more power to it

Michaelx209

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
yeah its not a 6000gt it was at 6800gt PCI E but it wouldnt run on my computer i switch a now PSU but it still doesnt work but it doesnt run into the OS just run but just have a black screen..

4745454b

Titan
The Dell 305W PSU is a "beast". It has 22A on the 12V rail, more then enough to run a 6800GT. (assuming Dell only made one 305W PSU.)

The link Rocky provided says you have diagnostic lights on your back panel. What do they say? Double check all the power plugs are in the mobo.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Michael, if you want to continue this discussion, please answer the questions asked above, namely:

What did you have in your system before when it was working?
What are the complete make and model on new and old cards?
Did you follow the installation instructions to remove the old video drivers, shut down the system, install the new card, and load the new driver when requested?
Alternatively, were you on some onboard video before?

And these new questions:
Does the new card require a 6 pin power connector? If so, does your power supply have one and did you connect it? If your card requires one but power supply did not have one- did you use a 4 pin molex adapter?

Michaelx209

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
wow thanks alot for the help but now i got it to work im not gonna keep this dell its only a back up when my gateway went down and im getting a new computer but still want rockyjohn to still help me