ASUS P7H55D-M EVO No display output

BiffAlexander

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Upon putting a new PC together I booted it up and got a post, but no video data. Just blackness.

Updated an old computer, all new parts except the video card and case, which worked fine just before updating.

New parts include

ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Video card is an old BFG 8800 GTS OC, I think the 512 version. (As a side note, i tried using an older 7900 GT as well to no avail.)

The board has onboard graphics, but they do not work with the 750 Lynnfield, only the Clarksdale I believe.

Posted fine, all fans are running, checked power cables, all connected. I was only able to plug in 4 prongs for the CPU power, I didnt have the 8 prong connector.

Thoughts? Im thinking the pci-e port is bad..but figured id see if smarter minds then I had any suggestions before I try to RMA it.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
For the CPU plug, did you plug it in the unblocked half? The mobo ships with a plastic cover for the other half of the 8-pin CPU connector in case you don't have all 8. You should plug it in the unblocked half.

The Clarksdale processors have the graphics processor on-chip, while the Lynnfield doesn't have a graphics chip at all. Did you connect the monitor to the video card itself? Don't use the motherboard's outputs, they don't work. Use the output of the video card you put in.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
It POSTed fine? And absolutely nothing displayed on the screen, not even the BIOS splash screen or something? Check your monitor. If it has more than one input, try pressing the switch that changes inputs.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Then I suggest checking the monitor. Or the video card's cables, even. Make sure they really work. If the monitor has more than one input (example: 1 analog, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI), try pressing the switch that cycles between the inputs, until you find the one that you used. Usually, this is automatically done by the monitor until it finds a video signal.

Also, I suggest putting in an OS installation disk and let it boot from there. Your mobo might be shutting off the video signal because there is no OS being loaded.

BiffAlexander

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
How can I boot from the CD without seeing whats on screen? I mean, even if it keys, it usually gives you a time limit to hit a key or it goes on its merry way.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I was thinking it would give you enough time to search for the video signal, if ever it was there. There are still some things I suggested earlier, try them. Take notice if some of the motherboard diagnostic LEDs don't go off, too. If a diagnostic LED stays on, find its label. That usually points to the problem.

Breadboard the mobo by pulling it out of the case and placing it on a non-conductive surface, like cardboard.

While the mobo is out, plug in both power supply connectors to the mobo. Leave the RAM out for now, but plug in the GPU and connect the monitor to it. If you hear the beeps that tells you your DIMMs are good.

Now install the RAM. Note that the hard drive should still be disconnected. With the HDD disconnected turn on and see if you get a display. If there is nothing wrong with the mobo or RAM, you should actually see the mobo POST on the monitor, but it will fail because you don't have a hard drive to boot from.

If the above test passes, and you see the error message telling you that there is no hard disk, then connect the HDD and try again. With these key components all working, start reconnecting the rest of your hardware, one at a time.

If you get all hardware connected and the display still shows, you probably have a short in the case. At this point, I would check that all the standoffs are properly installed, and that you don't have any unecessary standoffs installed.