Need help with SSD

G

So, im building computer as recent posts have suggested and i think i want to use an SSD as a boot drive. All i want it for is a boot drive, plus a few practical programs (not games) like antivirus and such.

i was looking at this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233177

is 40gb enough? Any suggestions?

ALSO. What is the whole deal with the pagefile? i dont know what that is and everyone is relating their RAM to it (i will have 8 gb) and how much space it takes up and how it can kill an SSD and that you need to reduce the size bkabkahakbah. Can someone clarify on this matter for me?

And finally, once i were to get an SSD what settings would i need to change to deliver optimal lifespan and performance? thanks again

SSD Optimization Guide I did some of the stuff in the guide, but not all of it. Tom's recently did tests showing that a few of the so-called optimizations don't actually improve anything. I verified AHCI, disabled system restore, disabled defrag, turned off hibernation, disabled recycle bin, verified TRIM, changed power settings, and disabled 8dot3 name creation, but I left the rest alone.

I recently upgraded from a single platter drive to an SSD/platter combo, and my usage with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Office, and a couple of games is 33GB. I suggest 96GB as the smallest boot drive you should get. I actually recommend 120GB or 128GB for maximum performance.

I recommend the Crucial M4, Plextor PX-M2, or the Samsung 470 as good SSDs.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
40G is enough. barely.
by the time you install windows 7 (correct? you didn't specify), get it up to date with hotfixes, and install your office suite & antivirus it will be pretty much full. i'd say 64G minimum, and suggest 80G or higher.

with SSD's you want to minimize writes so you can maximize lifespan. the two biggies here you want to disable are defragmenting (no value in SSD anyway) and the pagefile (only if you have sufficient RAM, at 8G you're good).

to disable defegamenting go administrative tools -> services -> double click "disk defragmenter -> startup type "diabled"

to disbale the pagefile go control panel -> system and security -> system -> advanced system settings -> advanced tab ->performance settings button -> advanced tab -> virtual memory change button -> select "no paging file"