Gigabyte X58A-UD3R stopped posting

kitsune109

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Currently troubleshooting a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R that was running without problems at 21x190 clock speeds for about two weeks on stock voltage before testing slightly faster speeds (21x191, then 21x195).

Cooling was by Prolimatech Gigahalem, single 120mm push fan, 1250RPM. Idle temps averaged just under 40 full load just under 70 (@21x190). Power draw was under 400W at load.

Stress testing at 21x95 with Prime95 resulted in BSoDs; dropped clocks back to 21x190, ran another test with Prime95. Another BSoD and restart. Currently, the motherboard does not post and there is no activity upon power up other than a periodic surge in fan speed.

Using Corsair 3x2 DDR3 1600 CAS8 memory, VGA card is a FireGL V7700, PSU is an OCZ 600W GameXStream.

The clear CMOS button has no effect. Power was disconnected, mobo battery was removed and reconnected without effect.

The board itself display alternating green and amber LED lights on the speed indicators.

Trying to figure out if the mobo is burned out while I still have time for an RMA.

Solution
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Refer to the manual of your mobo to know what means the LEDs of your mobo.

Also, try with every 2GB individually, could be a problem with one of them.

kitsune109

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
It's looking like a bad memory module in the #3 slot.

Pulled #3 and #5, system booted normally (2GB).

Inserted the module that was in the #5 slot into the #3 slot, system booted normally (4GB).

Inserted the module that was in the #3 slot into the #5 slot and no post (6GB).

Inserted the module that was in the #3 slot into the #1 slot and no post (2GB).

Kind of surprised, given Corsair's reputation for reliability, but then again, nobody bats 1.000

smartway

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Hey Mate

I'm also having some weird issues with this board. Every now and then if i change somthing in the Bios or ever just power the computer on, the fans turn on and then PC just powers off.... then back on again. It never displays anything on the screen.

I also have a lot of lights on the board. I was wondering if you can take a picture of the lights on the board when it is operating correctly. I have not been able to find any detailed information about what light mean what. The manual just said more lights is more load.

Please email me if you can help.

Mike

bluepulse@hotmail.com