Sign in with
Your question

How To Install OS to SSD And Everything Else To HDD?

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2011 3:50:05 AM

My question is simple. I want to install the OS on an SSD and everything else to an HDD. Is there a proper way to do this? Link to guides/howto's or even explaining it to me would be much appreciated.

More about : install ssd hdd

August 5, 2011 4:43:11 AM

Thank you for the links. I'm sure they are very informative in their own right, but neither one answers the question.

I'm looking for a guide that shows me how to install the OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD...
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2011 7:15:17 AM

I just got done doing this a few days ago.

The OS install is simple -- just have only the SSD plugged in when you do it. After the OS is completely installed, do a shutdown and connect the platter drive.

To have all of your data and documents on the platter drive:
Open up your C: drive, and navigate to the Users\YourUserName folder. Copy down all of the folder names.
Open up your platter drive (E: on my system) and create a Users folder. Then create a YourUserName folder within that. Then create all of the folders you copied down within the YourUserName folder. Close out of everything.
Open up your C: drive again and navigate back to Users\YourUserName. Right-click on the first folder in there and choose Properties. Click the Location tab and click Move. Browse to the first folder you created on the platter drive (likely E:\Users\YourUserName\Contacts) and click Select Folder. Answer Yes.
Do that for all of the folders (C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents to E:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents, etc.). Now all of your documents and downloads will automatically save to the platter drive.

You will have to manually select the platter drive as the install directory (I use E:\Programs\ProgramName) for each program you install when you install it.
m
l
August 5, 2011 9:35:54 PM

I like these guides. My question is what's the difference between using junctions and changing the registry? Is one way better or more stable than another?
Sorry if I'm hijacking a thread. I've seen guides for each but don't know if one is better than the other.

Thanks!
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:26:45 PM

all i did was put windows and drvers on c: and put all my 58 game and music and other *** on my 1TB (e:) 
m
l
February 8, 2013 7:36:33 AM

What if you do Windows Updates in Windows XP?
I'd want everything OS to stay on the SSD!
Do they get installed to the C: drive (SSD) or do they go to the E: (HDD) drive?
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:15:25 PM

Updates are stored in %windir%\softwaredistribution\download.

So, if you installed your OS in your SSD, then it will also be stored there.
m
l
!