How To Install OS to SSD And Everything Else To HDD?

My question is simple. I want to install the OS on an SSD and everything else to an HDD. Is there a proper way to do this? Link to guides/howto's or even explaining it to me would be much appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about install
  1. Thank you for the links. I'm sure they are very informative in their own right, but neither one answers the question.

I'm looking for a guide that shows me how to install the OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD...
  2. Windows 7 - Brand new SSD, How to Install Win 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/142520-brand-new-ssd-how-install-win-7-confused.html

You Tube video - Windows 7 install and SSD upgrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w

When installing your other software just select your hard drive as the location for installation.
  3. I just got done doing this a few days ago.

The OS install is simple -- just have only the SSD plugged in when you do it. After the OS is completely installed, do a shutdown and connect the platter drive.

To have all of your data and documents on the platter drive:
    Open up your C: drive, and navigate to the Users\YourUserName folder. Copy down all of the folder names.
    Open up your platter drive (E: on my system) and create a Users folder. Then create a YourUserName folder within that. Then create all of the folders you copied down within the YourUserName folder. Close out of everything.
    Open up your C: drive again and navigate back to Users\YourUserName. Right-click on the first folder in there and choose Properties. Click the Location tab and click Move. Browse to the first folder you created on the platter drive (likely E:\Users\YourUserName\Contacts) and click Select Folder. Answer Yes.
    Do that for all of the folders (C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents to E:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents, etc.). Now all of your documents and downloads will automatically save to the platter drive.

You will have to manually select the platter drive as the install directory (I use E:\Programs\ProgramName) for each program you install when you install it.
  4. Thanks for the replies..

Leaps-from-Shadows, your guide is similar to another one I found this morning.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html
  5. Good guide... I've seen that one before. If you want to set the default store location other than 'C' for new programs, this covers it... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html
  6. I like these guides. My question is what's the difference between using junctions and changing the registry? Is one way better or more stable than another?
    Sorry if I'm hijacking a thread. I've seen guides for each but don't know if one is better than the other.

Thanks!
  7. all i did was put windows and drvers on c: and put all my 58 game and music and other *** on my 1TB (e:)
  8. Hellbound said:
    Thanks for the replies..

Leaps-from-Shadows, your guide is similar to another one I found this morning.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

so which way did you use?
  9. What if you do Windows Updates in Windows XP?
    I'd want everything OS to stay on the SSD!
    Do they get installed to the C: drive (SSD) or do they go to the E: (HDD) drive?
  10. Updates are stored in %windir%\softwaredistribution\download.

So, if you installed your OS in your SSD, then it will also be stored there.
  11. Hellbound said:
    My question is simple. I want to install the OS on an SSD and everything else to an HDD. Is there a proper way to do this? Link to guides/howto's or even explaining it to me would be much appreciated.

This question has been answered. A common suggestion was load a fresh copy of the OS on the SSD, and data on the old hard drive. You will want to get into your users folder and make all the documents, pictures, games, whatever reside on your data drive. That has been explained elsewhere. It's time consuming, especially loading updates, so I looked for another way.

I use a free Partition Manager, MiniTool Partition Wizard, that can put an image of your system partition on SSD. I got lucky. I already had my system on C:, data on D: I had to reassign all the locations for my \users directories from C:\users... to D:\users..., but after that all was well.

To move the system to SSD, I plan to use Partition Wizard to save work.

I have not done the next steps, but I plan to as soon as I get the SSD. What I need from you folks is a sanity check and suggestions. Here is my plan:

First image C: on the SSD using Partition Wizard. Then disconnect the old hard drive temporarily. Boot off the SSD. Make sure the OS works. Then reconnect the former D: drive. (I disconnect my DVD drive too momentarily, to hopefully keep the D: and E: volume names available.) Boot and inspect. I should have D: with the original system files, E: with data. I'm thinking I will then erase D: and then merge the E: and D: Partitions. Voila, system on SSD and data on D:

So, that's the plan. Is it gonna work? Any gotchas to watch for?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Storage