Corsair VX 450W for GTS 250?

dotnet54

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
hey guys , i have been searching around forums and reading reviews, but just before i buy i thought i would ask for any final advice ^-^

i have

intel P4 3.00GHz cpu
kingston 2GB DDR2-667 RAM thinking to upgrade to 4Gb soon
MSI G31M3-LS V2 motherboard
1 80gb hard drive
1 320 gb hard drive
1 300 gb external hard drive mostly connected via usb
2 optical drives
and a non branded PSU which says 400W and 18A on+12V

and an new unused gigabyte nvidia GTS 250 1GB graphics card

i havent used it because i dont wanna risk my graphics card without changing psu, so i was thinking to buy

Corsair VX 450W PSU for my gts 250 card, so u guys think im all ok with this? or u guys hav any other PSU suggestion with close price range of VX 450W

shubham1401

Distinguished
A Corsair VX450 is good enough for your card.
It'll power the card with ease.

BTW you rig is good but your Processor will heavily bottleneck your GTS250.
If you change your proccy you'll see significant gaming performance boost.

If you wanna save some money then Corsair 400CX is also a good choice.
But 450VX might be more future proof.

+1 on that one. If the Corsair 450 watt can power my 8800GTX ACS3, it can handle the GTS 250 no issues...

dotnet54

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
i've got psu, so now i have installed both psu and graphics card

do u guys think having fast graphics card with slow processor will make motherboard temperature rise extremely fast? when i tried playing far cry 1, motherboard temperature rose very very fast, that doesn't happen before i installed graphics card (when i was using onboard graphics. )

im also keeping the cpu case open to keep good air flow,atm i dont have any chassis fans though

now i have only
1 GPU fan of gts250 card,
1 CPU fan, and
1 PSU fan of corsair VX450W

i just wanna know, do u think if by installing 1-2 chassis fans will solve this problem or u think i need immediate processor change?(that would be hard for me atm hehehhe xD) or is this in tolerable range for my motherboard(MSI G31M3-LS V2)?

first image is before starting game, second image is after about 4-5min of gameplay, motherboard temp is rising so fast i was sacred to play more xD
speedfan1.png

speedfan3.png

You definitely need better case cooling. That may not be your only problem, but it is the first problem you need to solve.

Right now, your PSU fan is carrying nearly the whole cooling load. The GPU fan is keeping the video card cool. 52 C is not bad for a GPU.

The Corsair is rated for full power at 50 C, so it's OK. A lesser PSU would need to be derated by about 10% at those temperatures.

Your main problem seems to be that you have no real circulation through your case. An intake fan in the front and an exhaust fan in the upper back should help a lot.