Sign in with
Your question

Need an alt board for an XFX X58i

Last response: in Motherboards
March 19, 2010 12:55:42 PM

Hey folks. LONG time reader and lurker, very infrequent poster. I ordered an XFX X58i motherboard for a new, full-on i7 rig I'm building and it appears I should have researched this further as it's been nothing but a nightmare. The board arrived with the coaxial SPDIF port all bent and twisted, there is NO documentation or support available from XFX (just a cardboard, greeting card-like insert with the rudimentary features displayed) either on their website or by email and this has been one headache after another.

To add insult to injury, the don't do refunds...only replacements. I got hosed. I'm still finishing the initial build but I have zero confidence this is going to work. Locking down the CPU required so much force, I was sweating from fear and anxiety as I didn't want to crack my brand new ~$300 board. Connecting the case is a NIGHTMARE because there's insufficient documentation on some of the headers. And again, it arrived defected and I'm reading on other review sites they got boards in exactly the same condition. XFX simply blows.

My question for you all is, what is the best comparable replacement? I've been shopping on NewEgg all morning and looking at other sites as well, but boards like the Asus P6t Deluxe are a bit light on PCI slots and other features I was looking forward to with this board. I need Crossfire capability as I went with ATI video (I know, I know...SLI, not Crossfire but I'm not a video Nazi and I have never had a problem with Radeon, never ever ever so I'm sticking to it and I already bought it! LOL). I'd like 2 accessible PCI slots for a TV tuner and maybe a more feature rich audio system from Creative or perhaps a wireless hookup or whatever...(I'd only have had 1 with this board, but 2 would be sweet). I want to stay with 6 RAM slots, lots of SATA ports and the other good jazz this board had (the audio functionality, eSata and whatnot all looked AWESOME on paper). So who's got a winner for me???

Love you guys!

More about : alt board xfx x58i

March 19, 2010 2:30:53 PM

What radeon cards do you have or intend to use?
!