Sign in with
Your question

PC reboots every few seconds

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2009 6:07:42 PM

Hi all, this is my first post in a forum because I'm getting really desperate. I have gone through the checklist and I'm still having the problem which is:

I built a new pc a month ago. I DID manage to get thermal paste in the CPU socket without realising it and continued building, and pressed the power button. It booted up for a second, then rebooted itself, after a few seconds longer it rebooted again. It reapted this pattern, taking a little longer to reboot each time. There were no beeps at all. I took the pc apart again and inspected everything. I found the thermal paste and spent 4 hours cleaning out the socket with cotton buds, a needle and gentle alcohol. I left it to air dry.

This time it booted no problem, I installed Vista Ultimate x64 and left it on overnight to let everything set in. The next day I installed a few programs (firefox, etc) and it all seemed to be fine. I then left the machine alone for the next few weeks as I was very busy moving to uni and other things.

I booted up the pc and installed UT3 and bit defnder. Everything seemed fine. I needed to restart to complete the installation and that's where the original problem began occuring again (no beeps). The only way to stop the boot pattern is switch it off at the mains. I left it off for a while while I searched for a remedy and wrote this post. I switched it on again, just to check and it booted fine again(this time beeping twice). I installed Mass Effect and went to restart and the problem happened again. I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas, advice or words of wisdom??

Thank you to all who read. Any replies will be greatly appreciated :) 

Specs:

Mb: MSI x58 pro iX58 socket1366 8 channel
CPU: Intel i7 920 D0 2.66GHz
Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X
PSU: Coolermaster Real power 700w modular
GPU: Geforce GTX 260 black edition 896mb
RAM: Corsair 6gb (3x2gb) DDR3 1600 MHz XMS3
ROM Drive: Sony-DRU190A
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS sata2

More about : reboots seconds

October 1, 2009 1:27:41 PM

Test the memory with memtest86+.
Try a different power supply.
October 1, 2009 2:06:03 PM

1) is it overclocked at all?
2) run the Memtest86+ as recommended above
3) how are your temps? CPU and GPU?
4) what kind of thermal paste did you use? The white kind is usually non conductive, but you have to watch the silver kind as it is slightly conductive.
Related resources
October 2, 2009 1:43:36 PM

evongugg said:
Test the memory with memtest86+.
Try a different power supply.

Firstly, thank you very much for a reply :) 
I'm in the middle of obtaining memtest and do you really think it could be the power supply, if so what could be the problem with it?
October 2, 2009 1:49:04 PM

jay2tall said:
1) is it overclocked at all?
2) run the Memtest86+ as recommended above
3) how are your temps? CPU and GPU?
4) what kind of thermal paste did you use? The white kind is usually non conductive, but you have to watch the silver kind as it is slightly conductive.

Thank you for the reply:) 
No it's not over clocked. Although, I just tried to turn it on and a black screen with red text said: previous overclocking failed, press delete key to run set up... I haven't changed any default settings before or tried to overclock it.
I just managed to install speedfan and it said that the idle temp was 55 degrees celcius. I installed ntune from the Nvidia site to monitor the GPU temp but when I ran it the PC rebooted then started that horrible sequence I mentioned previously.
I used the paste that came with the cooler. It was matt grey and quite thick. I've been reading elsewhere that the silver paste is conductive. Have I blown something?
!