Sign in with
Your question

Help with 750 US build for computer graphic design

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2009 6:20:49 PM

I learned that the budget has increased and I have more information about parts, so I wanted to start a new thread with the new budget in the topic.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP within the next 3 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: 600-750 US dollars after taxes and shipping costs

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Most important: multitasking with design and art programs (adobe CS 2 which contains adobe photoshop and adobe illustrator, and studio 8 2004 edition which contains macromedia (flash, fireworks, dreamweaver), photo editing, surfing the net
Least important: watching movies, no games

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
case (using CM 690)
case fans (using 120mm)
monitor
keyboard
mouse
speakers
soundcard (will use onboard sound),
OS (using XP professional 32-bit but will use windows 7 later)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg.com or amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:

no preference on power supply
Intel cpu
no preference on cpu fan
Asus or Gigabyte motherboard
Nvidia video card
no preference on RAM
SATA hard drive
SATA dvd writer
using onboard sound
want to put windows 7 on it later, but using xp professional at the moment

OVERCLOCKING:
Not overclocking. Need stability. No SLI or Crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
He is reusing a CRT monitor for now. I'm not sure what his highest resolution is.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
As quiet as possible for the budget amount.
September 30, 2009 8:51:48 PM

you might just barely be able to squeeze in an i5 system into that budget. I'll see what's up on Newegg
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2009 9:31:27 PM

Wow, that looks terrific. I was wondering if I could squeeze an i5 system in there, but wasn't sure. Do you think this would be a better deal and have it hopefully last 5 to 6 years, since there is no upgrading with the i5, than to do a core 2 quad for cheaper and then go to core i7 or better in 4 or 5 years?
m
l
September 30, 2009 9:36:54 PM

I doubt that there will truly be no upgrading for the 1156 socket, if you go with an i5 now, you can still go with an i7 870 as an improvement, and I think half of the future i7 lineup will appear on the 1156 socket. i9's are going to be exclusive to the x58 chipset, and they should also continue to see the better i7 updates as time goes on.

As for the parts selection in the combo, the weakest item is the Seagate 1.5 TB drive. It's a slightly older revision so doesn't perform quite as well as the newer models. Not a bad drive by any means, but there's better out there. You could also make an SSD the first upgrade for your system, and then just use that Seagate as file storage in the future.
m
l
September 30, 2009 9:37:33 PM

strangequark said:
Wow, that looks terrific. I was wondering if I could squeeze an i5 system in there, but wasn't sure. Do you think this would be a better deal and have it hopefully last 5 to 6 years, since there is no upgrading with the i5, than to do a core 2 quad for cheaper and then go to core i7 or better in 4 or 5 years?

What makes you think there is no upgrading with the i5? The LGA 1156 is the new mainstream socket and will be used for quite a while. There's absolutely no reason to even consider Core 2 for a new build since it will shortly be phased out along with DDR2 RAM.
m
l
September 30, 2009 9:40:25 PM

Also, if you don't believe core 2 duos are dead now, the core i3's coming early next year will be the last nail in the coffin. They can do everything the core 2 duos can do, more power, better efficiency, and are cheaper to produce.
m
l
September 30, 2009 10:23:54 PM

Oh, good to hear that there is an upgrade to the i7 870. Okay, I'm definitely getting the core i5 system.

Is the seagate 1tb drive better performing and just as reliable as the wd caviar black 640gb?
m
l
September 30, 2009 11:57:10 PM

If it's the 7200.12, then I'd say yes. Don't think anyone still sells the 7200.11s. The Samsung F3 is another good choice. Newegg won't allow substitutions on combos, so if you are looking to pick up a better drive for you primary, you're best off to add it to your budget.
m
l
!