Windows delayed write eith data copy failure

tasea10

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
hi..everytime i try and copy large files to my external hard drive my computer hangs......its only after i remove the drive a window delayed write message pops out....i have a iomega 500gb hd..ntfs,,
can ne1 help??

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Easiest thing to do: go to Device Manager or Disk Management /in Admin Tools>Computer management/ - on any of the places find the problematic drive and rightclick on it. Go to Properties. In properties dialog window go to Policies tab and switch it from Optimize for Performance to Optimize for Quick Removal

Hope this will help

tasea10

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
hi..i checked it out its already in quick removal mode....i dont understand...even if i manage to copy a file after trying several times...when i play it...its broken...the file transferred from the harddrive to other system works fine but anythihg i copy goes corrupt....

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You may have a more serious problem with this drive. Is it new /in warranty/? Can you RMA it?
If you can't I suggest you pull it out of the enclosure and test the drive as internal.
Mut maybe before that try the drive as external on another computer.

I think that you have a fault with the hard drive; the delayed write failure tells you that there is data waiting to be written to the hard drive so when you remove the drive the file that was being copied is incomplete. Try a check disk (property of the drive, tools) and select check for bad sectors also you can try the manufacturer of your hard drives web site and download their diagnostic software.

tasea10

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
hi guys still having the problem....it works fine with small files but when it comes to large ones its giving problem.....basically they are all torrent file...avi format
tried the chkdsk r...some unexpected error occurred...i have a 5oo gb iomega harddrive...is there a diagnostic tool that you would recommend??
and ya i just have two folders containing over 280gb of movies etc...it isnt because of that ...is it?? or could it be the cables...they seem fine....its not working on other system as well,,,so the hard drive is the culprit,,,so guys please help me out
thank you all for the earlier responses hope you all will see me through this....thanks again