Is Desknote a Good Brand?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2004 2:07:20 AM

If they're like what Packard Bell used to be, obvioulsy I'd like to
avoid them.
Also, what about ACI?

More about : desknote good brand

May 30, 2004 7:07:11 AM

I think you will be better off with brands such as Dell, Gateway, HP, or
IBM - but get into the Google search engine and search for reviews.

"Harry Edwards" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> If they're like what Packard Bell used to be, obvioulsy I'd like to
> avoid them.
> Also, what about ACI?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2004 5:41:11 PM

On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:07:11 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>I think you will be better off with brands such as Dell, Gateway, HP, or
>IBM - but get into the Google search engine and search for reviews.
>
>"Harry Edwards" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> If they're like what Packard Bell used to be, obvioulsy I'd like to
>> avoid them.
>> Also, what about ACI?

Ok, the problem is I'm going to put linux on the thing. I don't want
to pay for the OS that I'm not going to use.
Related resources
May 31, 2004 6:08:29 AM

Are Desknote laptops sold without an operating system? I have read that they
sell for about $500, and are not designed to use a battery - so they are not
really something you could use in a classroom setting.

I suggest you take a look at Ebay. You may find something that fits your
needs better, and at the same, or lower, price.

Good luck.

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:07:11 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
>
> >I think you will be better off with brands such as Dell, Gateway, HP, or
> >IBM - but get into the Google search engine and search for reviews.
> >
> >"Harry Edwards" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >> If they're like what Packard Bell used to be, obvioulsy I'd like to
> >> avoid them.
> >> Also, what about ACI?
> >>

> Ok, the problem is I'm going to put linux on the thing. I don't want
> to pay for the OS that I'm not going to use.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 6:08:30 AM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 02:08:29 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Are Desknote laptops sold without an operating system? I have read that they
>sell for about $500, and are not designed to use a battery - so they are not
>really something you could use in a classroom setting.
>
>I suggest you take a look at Ebay. You may find something that fits your
>needs better, and at the same, or lower, price.
>
>Good luck.

Not from what I can tell. They do indeed have batteries. I think the
real company name is Eurocom. I checked ebay, and nobody has anything
without an OS.
May 31, 2004 7:58:47 AM

No doubt that is true, but if the price is right, and the hardware is what
you want, then you can always remove Windows and install Linux.

However, one caveat. Check the Linux specs and the laptop specs for
Linux/laptop compatibility with whatever laptop brand you select. Laptops
are a lot more fussy in that regard than desktops.

> I checked ebay, and nobody has anything
> without an OS.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 2:04:46 PM

I work at a Computer Lan Center that also builds computers. Email me
some specs and i can give you a quote. (Our prices are always better
than gateway, Dell, or HP)

will.nospam@cyberconxion.com (remove the .nospam to email me)

==============
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 5:20:38 PM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:58:47 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>No doubt that is true, but if the price is right, and the hardware is what
>you want, then you can always remove Windows and install Linux.
>
>However, one caveat. Check the Linux specs and the laptop specs for
>Linux/laptop compatibility with whatever laptop brand you select. Laptops
>are a lot more fussy in that regard than desktops.
>
>> I checked ebay, and nobody has anything
>> without an OS.

You don't understand.

If I buy a Dell or whatever and remove Windows I already paid for that
OS which I'm not going to use. I can't install that OS on another PC
legally. Read the license agreement. When you get an OS bundled with
a PC it is allowed to be installed on that PC and that PC only. So If
you get a new one, you can't burn the old PC and install the OS on the
next newer PC.
I did find a link though of companies that sell laptops without OSes.

http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
May 31, 2004 9:38:32 PM

Really, Harry, it is you that does not understand. While it is true that an
OEM version of Windows XP can be legally used on only the machine it came
with (whereas retail versions can be used on different machines, but only on
one at a time), the point is - just forget XP. Remove it, throw it away, or
whatever. If the price of the computer you select is good, what difference
does it make that it happens to have XP on it?

As for using Linux. Why?

> You don't understand.
>
> If I buy a Dell or whatever and remove Windows I already paid for that
> OS which I'm not going to use. I can't install that OS on another PC
> legally. Read the license agreement. When you get an OS bundled with
> a PC it is allowed to be installed on that PC and that PC only. So If
> you get a new one, you can't burn the old PC and install the OS on the
> next newer PC.
> I did find a link though of companies that sell laptops without OSes.
>
> http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 9:38:33 PM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:38:32 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Really, Harry, it is you that does not understand. While it is true that an
>OEM version of Windows XP can be legally used on only the machine it came
>with (whereas retail versions can be used on different machines, but only on
>one at a time), the point is - just forget XP. Remove it, throw it away, or
>whatever. If the price of the computer you select is good, what difference
>does it make that it happens to have XP on it?
>
>As for using Linux. Why?
>
>> You don't understand.
>>
>> If I buy a Dell or whatever and remove Windows I already paid for that
>> OS which I'm not going to use. I can't install that OS on another PC
>> legally. Read the license agreement. When you get an OS bundled with
>> a PC it is allowed to be installed on that PC and that PC only. So If
>> you get a new one, you can't burn the old PC and install the OS on the
>> next newer PC.
>> I did find a link though of companies that sell laptops without OSes.
>>
>> http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html

Ok. In that case. How about if you go out, and drop $120 for a copy
of Windows XP, take it home and throw it out.
The difference is I'm paying for something I'm not going to use.
The price of the machine I select will be more than I want it to be,
since I'm paying for all sorts of software I don't want to use.

I want to use Linux. The why isn't important.

and stop top posting.
May 31, 2004 11:45:35 PM

Harry (sigh), you are STILL missing the point. There are deals out there
that just happen to include XP and/or other software, and which cost LESS
than other deals that do NOT include such items. In such cases, just
consider those items as disposable. They really cost you nothing.

Sorry about the top posting. Is this better?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 11:45:36 PM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:45:35 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Harry (sigh), you are STILL missing the point. There are deals out there
>that just happen to include XP and/or other software, and which cost LESS
>than other deals that do NOT include such items. In such cases, just
>consider those items as disposable. They really cost you nothing.
>
>Sorry about the top posting. Is this better?

I disagree. I can find deals better than the brands that sell the OS
than brands that don't. I can also spend more into the hardware,
insteadof the software.

Just forget I asked,.
June 1, 2004 1:35:04 AM

Look, if you want to spend more, be my guest - but there are deals out
there. I was just trying to be helpful. Obviously you've never purchased
anything computer wise from sources such as EBay, or you would realize how
totally wrong you are.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2004 1:35:05 AM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:35:04 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Look, if you want to spend more, be my guest - but there are deals out
>there. I was just trying to be helpful. Obviously you've never purchased
>anything computer wise from sources such as EBay, or you would realize how
>totally wrong you are.

Yeah, actually I have used Ebay and was not impressed. I bought an HP
Omnibook for a realitive and two months after I buy the damn thing one
of the bulbs in the LCD blows out. I bought a Dell Inspiron as well
from them and again, no big deal. I didn't save anything. So no,
forget ebay.
Maybe if you looked at the link I showed you would understand but
apparently you can't read numbers.

Ive bought memory card readers, cpus and almost a motherboard off
ebay, I know what I'm doing - obviously more than you so just stop. I
already found my answer.
!