Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does it matter...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 3, 2012 10:27:08 PM

For a Asus Gen3 board and the CM Hyper 212 plus, does it matter which way the heatsink and fan are mounted...should the fan be facing the RAM, facing the PCIe slots or it doesn't matter?

More about : matter

a c 190 K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 10:53:30 PM

You can mount the fans vertically, or horizontally its up to you, lots of folks mount it with fans horizontal to avoid hitting tall ram
If you only have one fan on there its wise to have it closer to the rear of the case, blowing towards the rear exhaust fan
Moto
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 11:01:42 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You can mount the fans vertically, or horizontally its up to you, lots of folks mount it with fans horizontal to avoid hitting tall ram
If you only have one fan on there its wise to have it closer to the rear of the case, blowing towards the rear exhaust fan
Moto


So the fan should be parallel to the RAM sockets. Air goes towards the RAM sockets ( there's a fan in the front of the case by the HDD's). So what exits the fan....should be towards the sockets for the keyboard mouse etc because the exhaust fan is there....sorry; having a senior moment!
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 148 K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 11:26:12 PM

Fans should blow to the rear of the case.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 11:34:27 PM

Can you post a pic of a fan in the right config for me please Jack, on phone atm and linkings a nightmare :-)
Op, I mean if you have one fan it is nearer to the fan at the back oof the case and blowing towards it, not next to the ram and blowing through the heatsink
Moto
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 11:48:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Can you post a pic of a fan in the right config for me please Jack, on phone atm and linkings a nightmare :-)
Op, I mean if you have one fan it is nearer to the fan at the back oof the case and blowing towards it, not next to the ram and blowing through the heatsink
Moto


So is this the right way? I didn't mount it yet but my hand is holding the heatsink/fan the way I was going to mount it. In front on right are the RAM sockets. If you look thru the fan; you are looking to the back of the system case. By the way, do you put the thermal coumpound on the heatsink or only the CPU (pea sized) and when the heatsink is installed; let it spread the compound?



Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 1:48:39 AM

Hehe, I meant for Jack to post a pic but you posting is helpful, take the fan as you have it there, 'leapfrog' the heatsink without changing fan direction and mount it on the other side, once it is on the heatsink you want to be able to see the four 'legs' that hold the hub onto the fan housing, and that fan is between the heatsink and the exhaust fan mounted on the rear of the case,
I'll post a better picture when I get to a pc in the morning for you,
Moto
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 2:29:43 AM

You should see directional arrows somewhere on the outer frame.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 4:43:53 AM

it depends on the air flow management that you want and needs to be good

and thus, it matters
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 5:16:01 AM

I struggled to find a pic of it with just one fan on but,
apparently the way you have it in your pic is the 'right' way to do it, the only issue there is it may hit your ram, if so, mount it as I described on the 'rear' of the Hs
Moto
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 5:20:58 AM

Unless you have a big fan on the top of your case. I have an Antec 300, and I have a 140mm "blowhole" fan on top. I mounted it facing up, so that it blows towards the bigger fan.

OP, the way you have the fan is fine. You can even leave it on that side and just not push the fan all the way down.

As for the TIM, I'm an old school "spreader" guy. I prefer to put a dab on the IHS and just spread it around as thin as I can get it. And unless you have the new 212evo, you'll need to fill in the air pockets on the 212+. If you look at the base there will be some rather large grooves where the heatpipes connect to the base. Those need to be filled in with TIM before you mount it.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 12:01:20 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I struggled to find a pic of it with just one fan on but,
apparently the way you have it in your pic is the 'right' way to do it, the only issue there is it may hit your ram, if so, mount it as I described on the 'rear' of the Hs
Moto



Thanks! Nope, it clears. I emailed Corsair and CM before I bought the heatsink/fan and I purposely bought the low profile RAM sticks so there wouldn't be a clearance issue. Corsair said that the ones with the heatspreaders wouldn't impede also.

I have the CM HAF 932, inside, it's like an ice box. Never does it ever get warm in there.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 12:43:12 PM

4745454b said:
Unless you have a big fan on the top of your case. I have an Antec 300, and I have a 140mm "blowhole" fan on top. I mounted it facing up, so that it blows towards the bigger fan.

OP, the way you have the fan is fine. You can even leave it on that side and just not push the fan all the way down.

As for the TIM, I'm an old school "spreader" guy. I prefer to put a dab on the IHS and just spread it around as thin as I can get it. And unless you have the new 212evo, you'll need to fill in the air pockets on the 212+. If you look at the base there will be some rather large grooves where the heatpipes connect to the base. Those need to be filled in with TIM before you mount it.



I saw the base where the pipes are and the spaces. Would it be easier to fill those crevices first then apply a thin layer on the base as well or just fill the crevices only then when that's done, apply a pea size amount on the CPU?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 3:15:17 PM

From what I've read online (and what I did with both of my 212+s.) is fill them in, and then do what you're going to do with the CPU. If thats pea, line, two lines, coat and spread, whatever. Just don't leave the gaps there. Think about it. If you don't fill them in, where is the TIM going to go when you press down? Into the gaps, and not spread across the CPU.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 3:40:20 PM

davcon said:
Two line method works great on 212+=never failed me yet!
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...



Read it, thanks. I didn't do that with the Xigamtek in my other system, I wonder, if the temperatures might go down using this method (filling in the gaps and then the two line method). My i7-920/Xigamtek HS was in the upper 20's to low 30s (after running several hours).

I'll try it out!
m
0
l
!