Sign in with
Your question

Blue screen after putting the memory in dual channel

Last response: in Memory
March 19, 2010 7:27:50 PM

I have 4 gb of ddr 2 667 mhz kingston (kit of two), in single channel works good but when i pun it in dual-channel, because it's a dual-channel kit, i get blue screen and when I restart my comp it does the same thing over and over again. When i put it back in single channel it works again. What should i do? ( I tested a 2gb ddr 2 667mhz in dual-channel and it works great), it's my memory kit a problem? cuz I tested it with lots of programs but it says that I have no errors (in single-channel cuz in dual I don't have time to do anything...)
a b } Memory
March 19, 2010 7:32:38 PM

Try the RAM one at a time, in each slot.

What OS do you have?
March 19, 2010 7:34:53 PM

I have windows 7 32 bit, i will test it one at a time like you said and then I will post a new comment, thx very much for the ideea :D 
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 19, 2010 7:37:12 PM

With a 32 bits OS only 3Gb max.
March 19, 2010 7:39:51 PM

I know that it recognized only 3,25gb but this is not my problem because in a 64 bit OS I get the same error...
a b } Memory
March 19, 2010 8:03:28 PM

The 32bit version isn't going to cause a BSOD. It just won't recognize above ~3.25GB of memory.
March 20, 2010 8:30:39 AM

I did what you said, i tested the ram one at the time with memory test windows 7 and i tested the memory in games at max load and they work good (separatly). When i put them in dual channel and tested with memory test w7 the test result was: Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer. Should I go with the ram at the warranty service? or do you have another solution?
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 11:57:07 AM

Henry Chinaski said:
With a 32 bits OS only 3Gb max.

Absolutely nothing to do with the problem....... absolutely nothing.

To the OP, what motherboard? What memory, and how do you have it installed?
You should not have to "put" anything into dual channel.
Your memory, if you have installed it correctly, will run in dual channel mode by default.
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 12:11:07 PM

jitpublisher said:
Absolutely nothing to do with the problem....... absolutely nothing.

To the OP, what motherboard? What memory, and how do you have it installed?
You should not have to "put" anything into dual channel.
Your memory, if you have installed it correctly, will run in dual channel mode by default.

I wanted to say what I wrote: With a 32 bits OS only 3Gb max. Nothing more.
March 20, 2010 12:48:32 PM

The mother board is Asus P5Q SE PLUS, the memory is kingston ddr2 667mhz 4gb (2x2gb) (KVR667D2N5K2/4G), i have 4 slots of memory on the motherboard 2 yellow and 2 black, i don't understand the question "how do you have it installed", i must do some changes in bios if i have dual channel?
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 1:05:49 PM

What 2 slots do you have it in? It is possible that a slot on your board is not working correctly.
March 20, 2010 1:10:51 PM

Now i have one on the yellow and one on the black (single channel), i tried dual-channel on the black slots it does the same thing like the yellow slots so i think is not from the slots. How do i test the slots to see if one of them is not working? Do I have to put one ram in each slot to test it?
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 1:14:23 PM

Yes, you can do that, but it does not seem to be the problem.
Do you have everything set to auto in the BIOS?
March 20, 2010 1:16:46 PM

Ok, i'll test it now and i will come back in 30 min ;) 
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 1:19:12 PM

You may try bumping the voltage slightly, to 1.85 or even 1.9, it could be the kit you have likes slightly more voltage to work properly, have seen that before.
March 20, 2010 1:57:14 PM

I found the problem it wasen't from voltage, it was from the motherboard, the second yellow slot is broken i think cuz i get the error: Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer. Thank you very much for the support ;) 
a b } Memory
March 20, 2010 2:02:09 PM

Oh well, hope you can get it fixed! Good luck, hope everything turns out well.
!