Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 19, 2010 8:45:12 PM

Well basically Im not sure what to choose from here. I am looking to get a new motherboard.

I have a dual core extreme QX6800 atm. I have the p5n32se deluxe asus board atm but only 2 slots work on the memory...

I want an upgrade on the MB as I am getting windows 7, any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

More about : choosing motherboard

a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 9:58:23 PM

Why a new motherboard when you can get a 2x2GB RAM kit?

If you are upgrading the motherboard you probably should go with a new CPU and DDR3 RAM also.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:40:04 PM

dndhatcher said:
Why a new motherboard when you can get a 2x2GB RAM kit?

If you are upgrading the motherboard you probably should go with a new CPU and DDR3 RAM also.

...cause I would like a new mb. As well my current bios will not recognize 4g, the bios update does not work on this mb - via complemants of asus. But yeah for a veteran, you didnt answer my question. As far as a new processor....why, even the new i7 extreme isnt godly compared to the current one i have :/ 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 10:53:04 PM

Its hard to make a good recommendation with no info. If you just wanted 4GB RAM for Win 7 then a 2x2 RAM kit would have given you what you needed far easier. You current motherboard not handling two 2GB sticks was kind of important to understanding why you want a new motherboard.

There are still tons of socket 775 motherboards that will handle 4+GB RAM. May not be the case in a year so dont wait too long.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
In this list I would stick with ASUS, DFI, MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA. Since I have no idea what your other system requirements are I cant help you narrow it down any more.
m
l
!