Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte H55M-USB3 RAID Controller Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
March 19, 2010 9:13:13 PM

Hey all,

I just installed a new Spinpoint 500GB hard drive, and was planning on setting the two up in RAID0. However, upon entering the BOIS I cannot switch the mode to "RAID", and upon installing the RAID controller software in Windows, I'm told that "GBB36X Raid Device is not found!". Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Coheed

More about : gigabyte h55m usb3 raid controller issues

a c 236 V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 10:35:40 PM

Why are you using the Gigabyte controller (white connectors) instead of the much better Intel controller (blue connectors)?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 10:38:09 PM

Do you have both drives on the same controller chip - i.e., plugged into the same color connectors? Are you attempting to enable RAID for the corresponding controller? On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, the second item, "PCH SATA Control Mode" applies to the blue SATA ports; the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" farther down the page refers to the white SATA ports... Did you let the driver disk shipped with the board do an 'auto' install? If not, the driver installation must be 'sequenced' in the proper order or certain parts of the hardware will not have their drivers installed... Lastly, did you do the <F6>/preinstall driver. at OS installation - without it, can't 'see' any RAIDs...
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2010 11:04:47 PM

bilbat said:
Do you have both drives on the same controller chip - i.e., plugged into the same color connectors? Are you attempting to enable RAID for the corresponding controller? On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, the second item, "PCH SATA Control Mode" applies to the blue SATA ports; the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" farther down the page refers to the white SATA ports... Did you let the driver disk shipped with the board do an 'auto' install? If not, the driver installation must be 'sequenced' in the proper order or certain parts of the hardware will not have their drivers installed... Lastly, did you do the <F6>/preinstall driver. at OS installation - without it, can't 'see' any RAIDs...

Both drives are on the same chip (blue connectors). PCH SATA Control Mode doesn't have an option for RAID. I haven't tried installing the mobo drivers in Windows (doing that now). I'm not sure what you're referring to with the preinstall driver. Yes, I answered your questions in a non-organized straight-forward response. I'm lazy! :p 

Thanks for the help!
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 11:09:33 PM

If your drives are connected to the blue connectors, then why are you trying to install the JMB drivers instead of the Intel Matrix Raid? Is the ICH configured for RAID mode?
m
l
March 19, 2010 11:11:38 PM

I'm supposed to do Ctrl+I during post, correct? I haven't seen any option to enter IMR during post. I tried the sequence once before but was unsuccessful.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 11:33:47 PM

Follow the procedure on PP 82-85 of your manual; followed by the "5-1-3 Making a SATA RAID/AHCI Driver Diskette" procedure on 95; followed by the 'pre-install' driver procedure on either 96 (for Xp), or 98 (for seven/Vista); be sure the driver disk you have made corresponds to your operating system - the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers are seperate entities!
m
l
March 20, 2010 9:37:09 AM

Coheed said:
Hey all,

I just installed a new Spinpoint 500GB hard drive, and was planning on setting the two up in RAID0. However, upon entering the BOIS I cannot switch the mode to "RAID", and upon installing the RAID controller software in Windows, I'm told that "GBB36X Raid Device is not found!". Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Coheed

Well Coheed,

The problem is your chipset. Your motherboard (Gigabyte H55M-USB3) has the H55 Chipset which does not support RAID capabilities. The H57 chipset was designed to support RAID 0,1,5,10.

Bogdan

If you need a reference for that. Look up your chipset here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-motherboard-gu...
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 11:30:03 AM

Good catch!! [:bilbat:5] I should have seen that - it's right on page 10 of the manual:
Quote:
Storage Interface
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 (1)
-(1) Only for GA-H57M-USB3

'course, GB didn't help with the generic manual: MOBO_manual_ga-h57(h55)m-usb3_e.pdf - but then, they often do that...

Coheed;

You will need to move your drives to the white connectors to RAID...
On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS:
set "Onboard SATA/IDE Device" to "Enabled" (should already be, by default...)
set "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "RAID/IDE"

Procedure on manual PP 90-94 to create the RAID volume;
procedure on 95, using the GIGABYTE SATA2 items;
same procedure as before to put in the 'pre-install' drivers...
March 20, 2010 6:10:13 PM

Best answer selected by Coheed.
m
l
March 20, 2010 6:15:28 PM

Thank you very, very much good sir. I've got everything up and running. Here are my HDTune Benchmarks:

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 7:15:26 PM

Always welcome! :hello: 

Lookin' good! [:bilbat:1]
m
l
!