Sign in with
Your question

Seagate cutting warranty from 5yr's to 2yr's

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2011 1:32:32 PM

Wow, just another reason to stick with Western Digital. I guess if you make crap products, your bound to lose a lot of money to warranty replacements. You think they would have maybe upped their products quality to save face, rather than make a lame move like this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/HDD-Warranty-Barracuda...
a c 82 G Storage
August 6, 2011 2:30:23 AM

Did you read the whole article before posting?
m
l
August 6, 2011 6:16:35 PM

GhislainG said:
Did you read the whole article before posting?

Uhh yeah.....did you?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 6, 2011 7:14:54 PM

Re-read the article, this ONLY affects OEM drives purchased in bulk, not retail products. The retail drives will retain the 5 year warranty.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 6, 2011 8:43:46 PM

geekapproved said:
Uhh yeah.....did you?

Yes. I replied because your title is misleading. you should have specified whih drives are affected. Since most of us don't buy OEM drives in bulk, we're not that concerned.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 6, 2011 8:43:58 PM

geekapproved said:
Uhh yeah.....did you?

Yes. I replied because your title is misleading. you should have specified whih drives are affected. Since most of us don't buy OEM drives in bulk, we're not that concerned.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 6, 2011 8:44:15 PM

geekapproved said:
Uhh yeah.....did you?

m
l
August 6, 2011 10:05:17 PM

tokencode said:
Re-read the article, this ONLY affects OEM drives purchased in bulk, not retail products. The retail drives will retain the 5 year warranty.

I don't need to re-read the article, apparently YOU need to re-read my post.

Where in my post did I say it affects retail boxed drives??? Please pay attention.
m
l
August 6, 2011 10:07:00 PM

GhislainG said:

I don't need to specify which drives are affected, that was the purpose of the article link, so you can read it. I suggest you try reading the article because obviously you missed the information it contains.

I buy all my drives from Newegg, which is a Seagate distributor, they are OEM drives, and Newegg purchases them in bulk, so they ARE affected.

I have been building computers since 1997 and I have NEVER purchased a retail boxed drive.
m
l
August 9, 2011 6:48:35 PM

Apparently you guys finally comprehended the article.

If you bothered to look on Newegg, you would see that all the oem drives are already listed as 2yrs warranty.
m
l
!