Seagate cutting warranty from 5yr's to 2yr's

Wow, just another reason to stick with Western Digital. I guess if you make crap products, your bound to lose a lot of money to warranty replacements. You think they would have maybe upped their products quality to save face, rather than make a lame move like this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/HDD-Warranty-Barracuda-Momentus-Pipeline-HD,13178.html
9 answers Last reply
More about seagate cutting warranty
  1. Did you read the whole article before posting?
  2. GhislainG said:
    Did you read the whole article before posting?

Uhh yeah.....did you?
  3. Re-read the article, this ONLY affects OEM drives purchased in bulk, not retail products. The retail drives will retain the 5 year warranty.
  4. geekapproved said:
    Uhh yeah.....did you?

Yes. I replied because your title is misleading. you should have specified whih drives are affected. Since most of us don't buy OEM drives in bulk, we're not that concerned.
  5. geekapproved said:
    Uhh yeah.....did you?

Yes. I replied because your title is misleading. you should have specified whih drives are affected. Since most of us don't buy OEM drives in bulk, we're not that concerned.
  6. geekapproved said:
    Uhh yeah.....did you?

7. tokencode said:
    Re-read the article, this ONLY affects OEM drives purchased in bulk, not retail products. The retail drives will retain the 5 year warranty.

I don't need to re-read the article, apparently YOU need to re-read my post.

Where in my post did I say it affects retail boxed drives??? Please pay attention.
  8. GhislainG said:

I don't need to specify which drives are affected, that was the purpose of the article link, so you can read it. I suggest you try reading the article because obviously you missed the information it contains.

I buy all my drives from Newegg, which is a Seagate distributor, they are OEM drives, and Newegg purchases them in bulk, so they ARE affected.

I have been building computers since 1997 and I have NEVER purchased a retail boxed drive.
  9. Apparently you guys finally comprehended the article.

If you bothered to look on Newegg, you would see that all the oem drives are already listed as 2yrs warranty.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Products World Of Warcraft Western Digital Storage