Need recommendation for a hardware upgrade

ehsan_nekooee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
HI everyone

I'm going to upgrade my hardware, I need your recommendation to choose the brand and model.
I,m a 3D architecture designer and I use 3dsmax 2009. I need to render high quality scenes with heavy lighting fast.
the hardware I'm going to upgrade are : CPU, main board, Graphic Card

also my budget is limited. I can spend about 700$ for these 3.

I think 4 GB RAM would be enough for me.
what is your recommendation?

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
what are you using now? it might be more worth it to take that $700 and invest in a workstation video card for that specific use. they however do not come on the cheap.

as an edit: what you are asking from a computer is quite a bit so with a budget there is gonna have to be compromise. So it would help us all to get the specs of everything you have right now to get the best bang for your buck.

I recommend getting the Intel i5-750 and a suitable motherboard (depends what features you want and how much to spend). If in doubt, get an Asus or Gigabyte board.

I can't comment on the card too much as you likely want a Workstation graphics card (I think Quadro FX?).

If a gaming card will do you I highly recommend the Sapphire Vapor-X HD5750 1GB (on sale at NCIX for $160 CDN or slightly less USD probably).

In the near future, software will be written to support the OpenCL/DirectCompute features of DX11 cards. This card is still quite powerful as a gaming card even though it's not the top of the heap. It also idles at 16Watts.

ehsan_nekooee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
well, yup my iranian friend.
and I really appreciate that.

I just like to have some recommendation and then choose one of them.
you know what? 700$ is too much money for me as an student. I need to spend it carefully.

ehsan_nekooee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
well, because 3D designing is going to be my job, I really like to have the best performance. the higher specs, the less rendering time I guess.
guess what?
right now I'm rendering a simple scene , 300 frames. It is going to take about 2 days and a half!

that's why I really like to have the best thing ...
anyway...
I will consider your suggestion.