Your question
Solved

Asus p8z68 v pro overclocking base multiplier issue

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Asus
Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2012 5:28:28 AM

Asus p8z68 v pro, i7 2600k, win7 64bit home premium.

I have read the guides and forums about how to overclock this setup, however no matter what I do (auto overclock, manual overclock, etc) in bios, the cpu will not come off of 16x multiplier in cpu-z or asus ai suite ii when running prime95. That is overclocking through the bios, which is the most current version 1106.

If I overclock through the ai suite ii, I can get 16x base multiplier and it will jump up to whatever I set the max multiplier running prime95. I.E. if I set it to 4.4ghz, it will jump to 4.4ghz and drop back to 1.6ghz when prime95 stops. That is fine and good, but every time I restart it loses the setting and I have to reset the overclock in ai suite ii.

I haven't overclocked in a while, but this was supposed to be simple very good performance increase with the click of a button (this motherboard has a built-in overclocking utility to take it to 4.4ghz). I don't mind doing it manually, but I want it to work all the time and not have to set it every time through ai suite ii. I'm not trying to go crazy, just get the performance I paid for. The auto-overclocking would be nice with a tweak or two if necessary, but I can do it all manually if I have to.

Please advise on what I need to do.

More about : asus p8z68 pro overclocking base multiplier issue

January 4, 2012 6:58:54 AM

Well I reflashed bios, partially removed asus ai suite ii (couldn't get it all), and reinstalled asus ai suite ii updated version. At least from the suite it is holding its settings upon restarts. It appeared to hold the setting prior to removing the suite as it gave me a different option than it had previously. At that time my raid array was down, but other than that nothing was changed.

I am at 4.4..ghz and will not mess with it unless I'm feeling lucky. 1.6x no load, up to 4.4..ghz loaded. Temp is in the 40s.

I am likely to continue to have intermittent success (buggyness), but let's hope not. Any insight or experience could still be useful.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:05:40 PM

I think we may be kind of going through the same thing. Lots of new options and settings in this bios and with this chip.

I didin't have issues with the bios saving my settings. But I did have trouble understanding Offset mode, Turbo(By all cores), Core Ratio, Internal PLL overvoltage, and a bunch of other settings which I hadn't come across.

I set the VRM Frequency to 350 as others found it helped stability and also Asus recommended it for OCing 4.5 and above.

I turned the Offset Sign to - instead of + and set the offset voltage to manual @ 0.005

Then I went into the CPU Power management settings and found the "additional turbo voltage" setting.. and started adjusting there in increments of 0.004 until I found a stable voltage at 4.5 ghz. It ended being 0.044... I may be off on that estimate by 0.004 but I can't remember exactly and the PC isn't near me.

Other than that... basically everything is on auto except for epu power savings which is disabled.

If I weren't dead-set on keeping the offset mode working I would have set the cpu voltage to manual and probably been able to find a sweet spot around 1.29 -1.34..

I've found this board and bios to be very good thus far. As good as an experience as i've had overclocking.

Are you using the AI suite to monitor your CPU temps or are you running something like Core Temp? The temps in AI suite are vastly different to what your core temps actually are.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 168 K Overclocking
a c 111 Ĉ ASUS
January 4, 2012 6:21:24 PM

If ya follow these guides, I don't think ya will have a problem. I'd use the bIOS rather than AI Suite

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...
January 5, 2012 5:41:56 AM

I tried the BIOS first with no success. Had to use AI Suite to get anything. However, I will probably try bios again. I used some guides (maybe not that first link which seems pretty good) and all I could get was nothing. Found some youtube vids as well that I can pull up picture-in-picture on my monitor to go step by step.

I really think that the reflashing of bios changed it to where it worked.
m
l
January 5, 2012 7:43:26 PM

curegeorg said:
I tried the BIOS first with no success. Had to use AI Suite to get anything. However, I will probably try bios again. I used some guides (maybe not that first link which seems pretty good) and all I could get was nothing. Found some youtube vids as well that I can pull up picture-in-picture on my monitor to go step by step.

I really think that the reflashing of bios changed it to where it worked.

Yeah, BIOS update. derp
m
l
January 5, 2012 7:49:25 PM

I second JackNaylorPE on using the BIOS to o.c., and not any software extensions in Windows. I don't know, maybe having the AI Suite installed confuses the mobo? You might try uninstalling AI Suite, making sure everything is clean, and then proceed in the BIOS. I do it that way, and as a first-time overclocker, and a first-time system homebuilder, I haven't run into any difficulties. The only thing is (and I look at this as a learning experience) figuring out which setting is best for your rig; as even the straight up BIOS method gives you a whole bunch of options and settings to tweak.
m
l
January 5, 2012 7:53:29 PM

Push said:
I think we may be kind of going through the same thing. Lots of new options and settings in this bios and with this chip.

I didin't have issues with the bios saving my settings. But I did have trouble understanding Offset mode, Turbo(By all cores), Core Ratio, Internal PLL overvoltage, and a bunch of other settings which I hadn't come across.

I set the VRM Frequency to 350 as others found it helped stability and also Asus recommended it for OCing 4.5 and above.

I turned the Offset Sign to - instead of + and set the offset voltage to manual @ 0.005

Then I went into the CPU Power management settings and found the "additional turbo voltage" setting.. and started adjusting there in increments of 0.004 until I found a stable voltage at 4.5 ghz. It ended being 0.044... I may be off on that estimate by 0.004 but I can't remember exactly and the PC isn't near me.

Other than that... basically everything is on auto except for epu power savings which is disabled.

If I weren't dead-set on keeping the offset mode working I would have set the cpu voltage to manual and probably been able to find a sweet spot around 1.29 -1.34..

I've found this board and bios to be very good thus far. As good as an experience as i've had overclocking.

Are you using the AI suite to monitor your CPU temps or are you running something like Core Temp? The temps in AI suite are vastly different to what your core temps actually are.

I tried using negative offset also at ~4.5-4.6GHz and it stalled out everytime at the smallest possible increment trying to run Prime95. I switched it to positive sign with a .035 offset, and at 4.5Ghz, I am getting 1.28-1.304v at 100% load under stress testing, with temps in the mid 60's.
m
l
January 5, 2012 8:02:09 PM

ebalong said:
I tried using negative offset also at ~4.5-4.6GHz and it stalled out everytime at the smallest possible increment trying to run Prime95. I switched it to positive sign with a .035 offset, and at 4.5Ghz, I am getting 1.28-1.304v at 100% load under stress testing, with temps in the mid 60's.

Yeah, i had the same thing happen. I ended up disabling offset and just about 90% of all the other useless features on this mobo. Running stable at 4.2 and under 1.3v. P95 24hours.. all is well. It was a headache trying to understand how some of these silly features worked. Never will I bother to try to understand "why".. because much of it seems like a total waste of energy to develop and implement.

I may even go as far as to say I won't buy another Asus board. I may feel differently in another year. But right now i'm soo turned off by this board and this manufacturer. Although I must say that this isn't based solely on my experience with this board, but with the company as a whole. I also installed an Asus Video card and an Asus DVD drive... The drive was DOA and the Video card was broken. Both had to be sent back to new egg and shipping costs over 30 bucks.

So, probably wont' buy another Asus product for a while. :p 
m
l
January 7, 2012 1:54:18 AM

I think I changed the multiplier in the right place, but also the wrong places through the bios. Considering what the AI suite changed I can see where I may have gone wrong. I tried to uninstall the AI Suite, but one component of it would not remove. I reinstalled the AI suite (possibly newer version) and it overclocked to get me where I am now. I will PIP the bios and guide/videos to see if I can set it through bios. It is weird for me to change things in the bios through software, but that is how it is supposed to work and it actually does change settings in there (some of them), so it is much more convenient than having to restart a whole bunch of times. Once I get it set, I am going to forget it, so will never use the software again unless I find some of the other features useful (fan control?).

The bios itself has an overclock button (ez setup), but I have not tried to see if it works. I'm going for a modest overclock anyway, so maybe I will try that as well and test it. If I can get to a modest overclock without setting and resetting and fiddling with all the settings I would prefer that.

ASUS motherboards are usually very good, however I have found this one to be a little complicated - partly me, partly ASUS. It has a ton of features and with those features comes the complexity.

One thing that I did notice is that enabling the iGPU (for lucid virtu functionality) will limit your overclocking and introduce addtional heat into the processor. Most people probably don't use it anyway, but part of the reason I got z68 is for the faster encoding via the on die gpu and the ability of the computer to automatically assign those type of duties to the cpu or video card (some programs are better using cpu or video card). Kind of sucks that it is going to force a sacrifice or switching it on and off as needed. I have not tinkered with all the settings, but it was not as stable and was hotter when I turned on the iGPU, but maybe there is a way to get the most from both... This board does allow for overclocking of the iGPU above the stock 850mhz, but at an expense to the overclocking capability of the processor. Since Intel is going towards more iGPU capability more than faster processors, I wonder how they plan to deal with the heat (modern graphics card are huge and have their own dedicated cooling)...

It seems there will just be growing pains with this new motherboard platform.

Also, I didn't upgrade the bios, just reflashed with the same bios it was already running. First thing I checked was what to make sure the bios was most current before I started doing anything. Could be that the other flash(es) were messed up somehow.

I will try to post some results for going through the bios.

m
l
March 2, 2012 11:38:32 PM

Best answer selected by curegeorg.
m
l
March 2, 2012 11:46:55 PM

I have had some time to come back to this. I got it overclocked through bios to 4.8ghz, just went with a guide's settings, no tinkering yet. Not having changed that many settings and it seems to be working fine. It seems my memory was giving me problems running at 1600mhz so I have it set to 1333mhz for now. It is patriot g2 gamer which is supposed to be 1600mhz, but from what I have seen this memory is not the cream of the crop (was what came in the system or I would have not picked it).

It seems to be running a little hot when prime95, 86deg C max when running it for about 30min, so I may try to back off the voltage (1.415 i think) or clock speed a little and see if I can't keep the temps lower. The corsair h100 that was the cooler was not working other than on max fan setting (sounded like a helicopter), so I rmad that and changed to the nzxt havik 140 which is not quite as good a cooler at maximum, but supposedly great otherwise for the money and much quieter! I will monitor it during normal use and see what kind of temps I get since nothing stresses it as much as prime95 anyway.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
!