AMD Phenom 960T and Asus M5A97 EVO

dark_jedi

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Any time I change any setting in the BIOS and restart the computer will power on not post and shut down. I have to clear the cmos and go back to default to be able to boot into windows. If i use the Amd overclock utility in windows I can get it to 3.4. Any ideas why this might be happening? Also this is my first build. I'd also like to unlock the cores but when I change that setting it doesn't boot either

synoge

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

I have the Asus m5a99x EVO and I am getting the same problems. I can get it to overclock at 3.7 stable using the autotune but any higher and it becomes unstable. Also the cores can only be unlocked on >50% of the 960t. Mine does the same thing when you unlock the cores. Won't boot into windows. I would try a lower multiply like 12 then 250 on the fsb. That will give you 3.0Ghz and then increase the the multiply it should remain stable at 17. That will get you to 3.75Ghz. You will then have to start to adjust the voltage on the CPU to get to 4.1 which is the highest I have been able to get. It is not stable with the current cooling I have on the system. I am looking at the h60 liq cooling at some point in the future. As a side note have you updated the bios rev in order? Hope that helps.

BlackBird24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hi.

I just built this system as well, and would like to ask what the "unlock" does? I am trying to find videos to learn how to "manually" set my own parameters, but I am hearing so many people having RAM troubles and BIOS issues. Right now I just am using the Automatic overclock feature and for me I am happy with 3.2xx GHz. The RAM I got is Corsair 16GB QV listed @ 1600, they are set just slightly lower than their highest (or course).

But, unlocking sounds like you can have all processors/chips running at full potential speed. I saw a video where a guy has a Gigabyte board and goes in and changes his NB and such. Even this is too new for me, I've never heard of the North Bridge stuff until now. It's been two years since my last build but never messed with over clocking.

I only got one 120mm fan on and my system temp is at 46 degrees with the over clock on. Right now I have no problems and still have the 08xx BIOS version on, I think there is a newer one that came out one month later, but if it ain't broke don't ....!

Wow. 4.1 that's really pushing it!

synoge

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
If you have the same system look under the BIOS advanced CPU menu for the core unlocking. Keep in mind that only 50% of the 960's can be unlocked and even then some of the are not always stable at the the higher GHz once they are unlocked. As far as overclocking your CPU the reason I use the Asus software in windows is that it seems to give you the most accurate overclock as far as what your system can handle. I would step it up 100Mhz at a time and see how stable it is and also what the temp is. If it locks up it will revert to the last stable setting. I would also save the profiles of the one that show the most promise and the you can work on the voltage from there.

Hope that helps
SyN