SSD as Second drive and TRIM

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I want to replace my secondary HDD with an SSD.

Do I need to re install Windows on the Primary drive which is a Momentus XT 500gb for Trim to be activated on the SSD?

My mobo is a ASUS P8H67 micro atx.

Thanks

If you are currently running Win7, your installation should be good. You should update to the current Intel Matrix Storage drivers.

Is your chipset hard-drive controller set to IDE legacy mode or AHCI mode? Until Tecmo34 stirred things up recently, the common wisdom was that you need AHCI mode for the TRIM command to be passed. Now this is in question.

1) For the new SSD to use trim, the sata mode of the attachment on which the SSD is installed should be AHCI.
Since AHCI is a subset of raid, raid mode is ok also, if you are using current intel drivers. There is some confusion in that a SSD will not get the trim command, if it is part of a raid array.

2) Your ssd will probably still work well even without trim. Reads will be very fast. Depending on the specific ssd, there will be some slowness while updating, once the whole drive has been filled.

3) Most of the time, a SSD is the better option for the os, and a conventional hard drive for data. In this case, I would try to use the SSD for the OS and the momentus for the storage drive.

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Geo.

I have my OS installed on my Momentus XT hybrid and combined with my Asus mobo my system boots up in around 20 seconds which is fine for me.

My system is mainly used to practice on MS flightsim X and that will be the only program that will be installed on my SSD. Everything else will be running off my other two Xt's

A SSD does very well with small random reads and writes. That is what the OS does when doing normal desktop operations.

I don't boot the os very often, I use s3 sleep which takes only moments to sleep or awaken.

FSX is a largish program, and I would think it would be particularly good on the momentus.

Either way would be good.

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
OK guys I jsut got my new asus GeneZ MOBO and my new OCZ agility 3 60gb SSD. I just updated the firmware to the latest 2.11 version.

Do i still need to update the intel drivers as well? And can anyone perhpas provide me a link to them please.