Amazing new computer question!

Asdf Jer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hello,

I'm going to be acquiring a PC soon from the college for $25 and I have a decision to make because there's 50+ of them I can pick from.. they're all about the same specs (512mb with a 1.9GHz p4) but I found one laying around that actually had Rambus ram and I thought.. I gotta get that! But the reason I'm posting is because I was curious as to what you guys think, should I get the Rambus or one that has DDR?

Just curious, I don't think I'll actually upgrade the DDR and but I was thinking at the same time maybe I should get it just in case I want to upgrade in the future.. and I know Rambus is quite expensive.. I'm not really gonna be doing much with it.. I'm was originally gonna buy it just for parts but then I decided I might be able to use it for something so I figured I'd just throw XP on it. But speed wise, what's best?

Any ideas?

Oh and sorry for the misleading topic title ;)

Thanks,
Jer

Solution
Rambus is faster then the DDR but it can not be really used to its full potential at 1.9ghz it needs atleast 2.5ghz to spread its wings and really fly. But anyways get the one with rambus.

Asdf Jer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Alright thanks, I'm probably gonna throw a CPU I got in a computer that I'm currently using as a seed box.. P4 at 2.6 I believe.. So that should work out pretty good.

Thanks for your time.