System recognizes CD and DVD drive in device manager only

August 14, 2004 7:25:01 PM

Yesterday, both my cd-rom and DVD drive were working fine. Today they only
appear in device manager and said to be working properly. Anywhere else, it
just seems there are no cd and dvd drives installed at all. For example
neither Windows Explorer nor the system information would show any cd or dvd
drives installed. I've no idea how they could have disapeared!

Other thing, I notice that the drivers provided are SCSI although both
drives are technically IDE. I've also nVidia and read that it switches the
IDE drivers into SCSI for better performances. Is that true? If so, could it
be the reason why the drives are not recognized?

I tried system recover, but it didn't work.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and hardwares, and it still
doesn't work.

What happened and how can I get my drives back? Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks!!
--
Novice but eager to learn
Anonymous

XP's old disappearing drives trick. Check at Kelly's
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select C and
scroll to Dvd/Cdrom drives missing from MyComputer/Explorer.
"barham92078" <barham92078@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday, both my cd-rom and DVD drive were working fine. Today they only
> appear in device manager and said to be working properly. Anywhere else,
it
> just seems there are no cd and dvd drives installed at all. For example
> neither Windows Explorer nor the system information would show any cd or
dvd
> drives installed. I've no idea how they could have disapeared!
>
> Other thing, I notice that the drivers provided are SCSI although both
> drives are technically IDE. I've also nVidia and read that it switches the
> IDE drivers into SCSI for better performances. Is that true? If so, could
it
> be the reason why the drives are not recognized?
>
> I tried system recover, but it didn't work.
> I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and hardwares, and it still
> doesn't work.
>
> What happened and how can I get my drives back? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks!!
> --
> Novice but eager to learn
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 2:11:02 AM

Rich Barry,

Thank you for your message. I tried a few times the program, but my drives
are still missing :-(

What else do you think I can do?

!