How Fast Can I Get A 8120 To Go

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I got a 8120 you know AMD FX ya ya ya lets move on... my motherboard has complete controll over my cpu and theres 2 options i can do
1. Use OC Genie II Or OC Genie Lite
2. Adjust CPU FSB Or Multiplayer

my multiplayer goes from Auto, 4-32.5 and i tried OC Genie II and it went to 3.5GHz from 3.1GHz so it is not to good for me.
So which is better, i have a CMOS clear botton in the back of my computer so i can reverse this without going to the BIOS but not in windows of course. My main questions are
1. Is OC Genie A Good Choice?
2. How Fast Can A 8120 Overclock Go?
3. How Far Can I Go Without Changing The Voltage, How Much Do I Change It?
4. How Far Do I Change The CPU FSB Beacause I Know About The Multiplayer But Is Changing This To Much Bad?
5. Does Overclocking Without Increasing The Voltage Keep The Standerd Lifespan Of My CPU?

Ansering Any Of These Will Help
I So Far Have Stock Cooling But Might Buy A H70, Until I Get The H70 Im Not Going To Overclock That Much If I Even Overclock

Well I just helped a friend OC a fx 6100 to 4.7 ghz on air so you have lots of room and it will not shorten the life of your CPU any amount you will notice. I would suggest you do the OC from BIOS not windows these are very easy to oc set cpu voltage to 1.45 northbridge voltage 1.42 then up the multi till you blue screen and drop it down 1 or 2 bumps. I am betting you will be at 4.5 or higher before you see issues.

Thent

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Yes The BIOS What A Werthy Place To Ocerclock Thanks But If I Get A H70 Water Cooler Is It Possible To Reach 6GHz?

aznoble

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
6ghz is a lot on a CPU. you may want to work your way up to 6ghz. I recommend using prime 95 at about 5ghz see how hot it gets....then push for more as long as there is room. Not that you'll push your cpu to 100% all too often but it is a good way to check your cpu when you overclock....there are other tests to try as well...but prime95 works for me. what is your FSB.....btw

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

If You Mean HyperTransport 3 Then 2600MHz If You Mean CPU FSB It's 200mhz