Fry GPU using dual monitor setup?

Jlong7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Can you fry your GPU using dual monitors? I bought a new PC and hooked up a 32in HD tv and an 18 inch LCD monitor to it. The GPU is a HD 6750 it quit working after a week of use.(gaming)
My PC actually powered off and would not turn back on. While trying to fix it I found that it will work perfectly fine if I change out the GPU.
Is it just coinsidence that it fried the first time Ive uses dual monitors? Is it safe to go back to a dual setup with a new GPU installed?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
In order to give you an informed opinion, you have to provide more info about your rig: what CPU, PSU, RAM, HDDs etc.

But, taking a stab in the dark, it sounds that your underlying issue may be with the PSU. The power draw for dual monitors may have caused a spike thus killing your GPU.

Generally speaking, AMD and Nvidia design their GFX cards to handle a dual GPU output. What they don't control is the PSU.

If you want further or better advice then please provide details on your other components.

Jlong7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Intel core i7 2600 3.2ghz quad
8gb ddr3 ram
1.5tb standard hdd 7200rpm
Radeon HD 6750

The PSU is some cheap PSU gateway threw in it. It is 450w -500w max.
I didnt know dual set up would draw more power since both monitors are plugged into the wall for power.
The HD 6750 that was installed in it had no writing, no logo's and didnt say radeon anywhere.

NextGenesis88

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Best advice for you would be to get a decent power supply. I could never justify using such a psu like a shoddy generic. They may work for the average person who surfs the web, but I think with any significant load they will be brought to their knees or at least be very inefficient. I opted for a 80+ Gold power supply and while it may be overkill it's extremely efficient and reliable. Even when I ran my CPU 100% in Prime the other day and had my case open the PSU fan never even had to turn on. haha :D A good quality PSU can really give you piece of mind and help avoid destroying a component or even taking your whole system as well as save you money in power.

I still don't know how simply plugging in two monitors to the card could kill it just like that though, but that may be an area that I am not familiar with.

Next thing for you to do would be try your GPU in another or someone else's PC.