Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AM3 cpu can be in a AM2+ and AM2 MoBo??

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2010 6:32:23 AM

If I am getting a Phenom 965 125watt. So I read that people get am2+ and am2 mobo's, and some say it dosen't work and some say you just lose memory support.
I just wanted to clarify if this is true, Cause it would come in handy if I were to go with nvidia with an AMD chip. I only ask is cause I wanted to get a nforce board but the only one to pick really is the msi G-65, so it would be nice to have some options.

More about : am3 cpu am2 am2 mobo

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 8:45:14 AM

Yes, AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ motherboards.

Why not get an AM3 motherboard? Unless you're going for SLI, you don't need nForce boards. Plus, you get DDR3. May I suggest the M4A89GTD PRO from ASUS? Only 150$.

Of course if you plan to go SLI, then that's a different issue altogether.
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 8:57:08 AM

MOST am2+ mobos support am3 processors (with a BIOS update) but not am2 mobos.

as grace said though, if you are buying a new mobo it may as well be am3. if you have an am2+ board already, then i understand why you'd use it, but AM3 and DDR3 are the current platform.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 11:24:40 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
If I am getting a Phenom 965 125watt. So I read that people get am2+ and am2 mobo's, and some say it dosen't work and some say you just lose memory support.
I just wanted to clarify if this is true, Cause it would come in handy if I were to go with nvidia with an AMD chip. I only ask is cause I wanted to get a nforce board but the only one to pick really is the msi G-65, so it would be nice to have some options.

If you are going to buy AMD, please do not buy a board with a crappy nForce chipset, just does not make sense. That is why there is only so few choices, it's simply a bad idea!
Why must you have an nforce chipset? Are you planning on running SLI?
If you are bent on SLI, move to the Intel camp and look at a platform based on the X58 Intel chipset, they support SLI.
March 20, 2010 10:27:12 PM

Well I was just asking cause I wanted a high end mobo that could do SLI, just in case I go with a GTX 470. The G65 is about the best I could do, cause I like the GD 70 and its new 890FX model.
Does anyone know if there is a newer version of the G65 coming out ???
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 2:56:05 AM

In case you didn't know, nVidia recently got out of the chipset business. Their chipset division got absorbed into the tegra division, so don't expect any updated nForce chipsets. Anyway, the only AM3 boards with nForce chipsets are the ones from MSI. Since none of the other manufacturers done the same, I think it's a safe bet that demand for AM3 SLI boards is pretty darn low so I wouldn't expect MSI to invest too many resources into updating the two boards they have. If you are thinking about going SLI with a GTX 480 (good luck getting ahold of two of them anytime soon), then the MSI NF980-G65 is the way to go.
March 21, 2010 3:06:08 AM

Yeah I heard that Nvidia has put a stop to companys making am3 boards that support SLI. I think its cause ATI and AMD have there thing going on so Intel and Nvidia will have there thing going on, which makes sense and we will probably see better work done this as far working together with matching cpu and mobo.
I was just wondering cause Intel chips are way more expensive but I can always get and i7 920/930. It would cost a couple hundred more but I would only do that if the fermi cards are worth it.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 11:15:33 AM

We'll probably see in a few months. I hate the fact that nVidia took so long (they're already 6 months late) to get Fermi up and about. I might have gotten nVidia, but ATI had their 5000 series up in the shelves, and I was all but ready to get a computer. It wasn't a tough decision.

I'll see what nVidia eventually brings to the table, though.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 1:23:22 PM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Yeah I heard that Nvidia has put a stop to companys making am3 boards that support SLI. I think its cause ATI and AMD have there thing going on so Intel and Nvidia will have there thing going on, which makes sense and we will probably see better work done this as far working together with matching cpu and mobo.
I was just wondering cause Intel chips are way more expensive but I can always get and i7 920/930. It would cost a couple hundred more but I would only do that if the fermi cards are worth it.

Well, it could be that, but mostly it is because nVidia just plain stopped making chipsets. I am not going to go as far and say that nVidia chipsets were actually bad, but they were troublesome at best, both AMD and Intel chipsets in general are faster and more stable.
I am not speaking form personal experience here, but I have concluded from various reviews and other peoples experiences that that SLI scales quite well on the I7 platform, and if you are decided on SLI, it would probably be better to spend the extra money and build that route.
March 27, 2010 11:57:28 PM

Best answer selected by Salt-City_Slasher.
April 1, 2010 9:58:29 PM

also noted, if running an AM2+ board, depending on the AM3 CPU you are using, AMD states that minimum requirements are DDR2-1066Mhz for AM2+ boards. If using Phenom 955BE/965BE it would be better going with AM3 board.
!