Yet another boot problem...pls help.

swordsman

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I started a new build with the below components, but when powered up most of the time i get no display on the monitor, not even the option to get into the BIOS, but i can see/hear the components running - phase LEDs are lit, PSU/CPU/GPU fans spinning . Sometimes it would boot up from harddisk up to Windows in SAFE mode (OS was installed previously on an old build). When booting from DVD drive(to reinstall OS), sometimes only up to the Windows screen and then the monitor blanks off(like there's no signal, the monitor led becomes amber in color).

My components:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 (BIOS FB) -> new
Processor: Intel Xeon X3220 2.4GHz (G0 stepping) with Coolermaster V8 heatsink -> new
RAM: G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (Part # F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B) -> new
PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI-B 700W -> new
Video card: ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition -> transplant from an old build
HDD: SCSI Harddisk(with SCSI PCI card) with installed Windows XP -> transplant from an old build

The few times i was able to get into BIOS, i did a "Load Optimized Defaults". I tried installing only 1 stick of RAM from the different slots, but getting same erratic behaviour. The components are all in the case now and i plan on taking them out and breadboarding. But this board doesn't have system speaker so i ordered one and should have it soon, so i can better troubleshoot and hear the beep codes. I believe i have most of the "New build won't boot" checklist checked.

Can anyone please help on what could possibly be wrong or what's possibly bad? Anyone have suggestion for BIOS setting for the CPU & Processor(like in other threads), in case that's causing the problem? I plan on testing each component but until i have the board speaker set up, might as well ask for a good BIOS setting.