Your question

New Hard Drives for RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2011 9:07:58 PM

BUDGET: 200-260$ USD

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K at 3.30 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 500 GB, Verbatim 1,5 TB (external hard drive made internal)
PSU: OCZ Z Series 650 Watt
Monitor: LG W2753VC-PF

OVERCLOCKING

CPU: NONE
Memory: NONE
GPU: GPU clock at 892 Mhz, Memory clock at 2100 Mhz

DETAILS

So I am thinking in buying two internal hard drives because firstly I am building a new computer with some older parts I have and only the hard drive is missing so I'm going to put my current 500GB hard drive in the new (but with old parts) build and I want to make a RAID 0 for my current computer.

So after quite some research I thought that I should buy two Western Digital Caviar Black 1,5 TB and have them configured in RAID 0.

I wanted to know your thoughts on that purchase and if there is something better I should buy.

Also I found out about SAS technology but it's more expensive (approximately 15$ USD per drive in Greece) and I heard it's quite noisy and only needed in servers with large files.

In addition the drives must have SATA III so I can take advantage of my motherboard SATA III technology.

Thanks in advance!!!

More about : hard drives raid

a b G Storage
August 5, 2011 11:48:40 PM

First off, unless you have a SAS controller which are typically expensive, SAS drives will not work even though SAS does offer some benfits like command queing etc, mostly useful in multitasking server environments but still beneficial.

If you are interested in performance I would consider an SSD over RAID0 from both a data integrity stand point as well as performance. If you want mass storage, go with a large standalone drive or preferably RAID 1, if you want performance go SSD.

If you're doing something like video editing and really need the performance and space, the WD Blacks are a good choice, but backup your data, RAID 0 fails MORE often than a single drive. If either drive goes, you'll lose everything.
August 6, 2011 4:14:47 PM

tokencode said:
First off, unless you have a SAS controller which are typically expensive, SAS drives will not work even though SAS does offer some benfits like command queing etc, mostly useful in multitasking server environments but still beneficial.

If you are interested in performance I would consider an SSD over RAID0 from both a data integrity stand point as well as performance. If you want mass storage, go with a large standalone drive or preferably RAID 1, if you want performance go SSD.

If you're doing something like video editing and really need the performance and space, the WD Blacks are a good choice, but backup your data, RAID 0 fails MORE often than a single drive. If either drive goes, you'll lose everything.

I would buy ssd but right now I need the storage, I guess I'll go with a RAID 10 for a start and when I start running out of space again I'll go for RAID 0
a b G Storage
August 6, 2011 7:24:54 PM

or go RAID 0 and image the RAID 0 array to another drive periodically. Just always make sure you have a good back regardless of the RAID level you're running, but ESPECIALLY with RAID 0
!