Overclocking i7 / intel motherboard

bitsu

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Hi I'm just wondering how hard it is to overclock a core i7 920 on a Intel motherboard, I've done it before on a eVGA board, but wondering how much different it is on an intel board. Thanks alot

tecmo34

Administrator
If the board isn' part of an OEM system, the general tools for OCing will be there. I wouldn't expect the same level (high) OC on the Intel board as you would on an EVGA, Gigabyte or ASUS. It probably won't have the extra OCing features either.

If the board is part of an OEM (Dell... etc), don't expect to be able to OC since most have locked BIOS.

ulysses35

Distinguished
If you have an Intel board then you could come unstukc - before the launch of the i7's Intel advised several mobo makers about using higher voltages for RAM modules as this could cause damage to the CPU / RAM. Most third party boards have no problmes with overclocking - but you could find Intel deliberately limit or restrict their boards

If you wanna OC seriously, I have always been told start w/ Asus ROG series. I'm a bit new to this arena as I neve rhad the patience for it.

For moderate OC'ing, something I have more experience with, personally I prefer Asus...can get a 3.2 Ghz OC in 30 seconds of effort.

Intel MoBo's aren't particularly known for the OC'ing features.

bitsu

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Alright, it isn't for me, it is for a friend who is buying a prebuilt system, it will most likely have an unlocked bios since it is reseller oem and not manafacturer.

Thanks for the answers everyone.