Sign in with
Your question

SATA6 external raid system

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2011 10:54:40 PM

Hello,
I would like to have an external raid system with 4-5 2tb drives in raid 0. Now I was wondering what are the performance (read write MB/s) that I'm going to get? are they going to be any bottlenecks connecting everything using an esata 6 connection to the motherboard/pci-x sata6 card. My computer is not new, and I only have sata 2 connnectors. So i'm looking for an external solution (all my internal ports are used), where I can have fast external storage without spending thousands of dollars (I don't know if it is possible). I need very fast storage because I'm working with uncompressed video files and my bottleneck is alwasy storage. Thank you very much
a b G Storage
August 5, 2011 11:42:30 PM

Definitely need some additional information here, what type of drives are you going to be using? Drives vary greatly as far as speed. What controller are you using?

Just doing some quick and dirty math you look ok with 6Gbps.. If you went with something like WD Black 7200 with a transfer of around 100MB/sec, figure you get ideal performance gains from additional spindles

5 x 100MB/s = 500MB/s

500 * 8 bits = 4Gbps, under the theoretical 6Gbps... The PCI-X interface will also support 4Gbps, so on the surface you look ok but there are a lot of variables including the controller and drives.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 5, 2011 11:53:10 PM

Just a quick math correct, some of the newer WD Blacks will do 150MB/s so that puts you right at 6Gbps, possible slight bottleneck
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2011 6:23:12 PM

thank you so much for your answers. Yes I want use probably caviar black or similar. For sure normal sata6 7200rpm 64mb cache hard drives. Now the question is what kind of box should I get to put the hard drives in? and what pci-x card? my motherboard is an asus p5ke-wifi. I'm probably buying a new system next year so something that is not already old will be better.
Do you know anything about thunderbolt? maybe if there are pci cards with this interface will be better "future-proof".
Thanks again for your help
m
l
a b G Storage
August 6, 2011 7:11:58 PM

PCIe is more future-proof than PCI-X. What is your budget? Since its RAID 0 there shouldn't be a huge performance difference between controllers, just make sure it has enough ports.
m
l
August 7, 2011 10:30:10 PM

THANK YOU AGAIN for all the answers. Do you have any specific suggestion on something cheap but still good?
I need an eclusure with 4 or 5 sata6 ports where to put the drives and a PCI card to connect the enclosure too. I'm a little confused between PCI-x and PCI-E I meant pci express like the video card...but maybe I'm wrong...

thank you again
m
l
a b G Storage
August 7, 2011 10:59:50 PM

PCI X is 64bit PCI usually found in servers and provides more bandwidth than regular PCI, PCIe is PCI Express which is significantlt faster at 16x but you need to look at the number of channels it is using. a 4x card will be 1/2 the speed of an 8x card as far as max transfer speed to the board. You'll also want to pay atention to the total number of lanes available on your board, some 2x16x slot board will split them into 2x8x slots etc. Some 4x slots share lanes as well..
m
l
August 9, 2011 5:27:36 PM

Sorry I couldn't reply before. thank you for your precise information. so can you suggest me specific models of enclosures and cards?
m
l
!