ATi 59XX

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
You read that right folks...

AMD's recently released Open CL drives has given us something to think about. Among the new cards listed in the support sheet, including the fresh HD 5800 and HD 5700 series, the driver also mentions two HD5900 parts.

Question is, are these new single GPU parts, or are they the x2 cards renamed?

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Somebody posted this earlier on a different thread. Apparently the 5850X2 and 5870X2 are going to be the 5950 and 5970. Some people may have a problem with the new naming scheme but I think its pretty good. I guess some less tech savvy people might get confused by the X2 moniker.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I think even less savvy people know that 5950>5850 and 5970>5870 so lets give the rest of the world a chance :D

AMIGA, include Your Source next time !! :non:

If you're not linking to them, quote location of your cut/paste.

Also get the name right, there should be an HD in front, especially considering the poor quality of the competition's 5900 product. :evil:

Anywhoo, Fud-team updated their info;
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15982/1/

Now if this were Fermi-like news we could start wild speculation: that the re-naming means it's an MCM - dual die / single package solution meaning it will be awesome fast, and just so plain awesome it will cure leprosy and st00pidity. :whistle:

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I'd rather them call it a 59x0 instead of an x2 if they do in fact change some of the clock settings and what not for the hemlock.

I would consider it more misleading to call a card a 5870x2 if it is not actually a doubling... whether it be an increase in clocks or a decrease. I know the early rumors were that the x2 would be faster on each core than the single.. though the later rumors stated it woudl have to be underclocked to fit into the TDP. We will see.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

An MCM??? Better not be on the 55nm process.

Of course, AMD is quite silent when asked about this topic, and nothing can be confirmed directly from AMD, but as far as we heard so far, there is a plan for a single card, the HD 59x0.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15982/1/
Or does this just mean single-card dual-GPU?

Yep, like the HD4870X2 ; not like we'd all love to see (and I was alluding to by my comment), single card, single package, dual GPU which might solve alot of the memory issues (like duplication, access latency, etc).

Fermi should be 40nm too, but anyways, it doesn't matter, I highly doubt that MCM would be the case, but oh man it would be awesome if possible; I just don't know about the cooling mechanism that would be required to handle that much heat in such a dense package. You might find, that you'd get better performance from a dual package solution, just because you'd be able to clock them better and feed cleaner power, but of course at the added cost of extra PCB space, more complex PCB, more traces, and more memory.

Yeah I don't know exactly, it's not a set cost, but usually it translates (at launch) to 1:5 and maybe 1:10 $ wise, so I don't think it' would be that high a premium, but probably half that as a pricing premium, and then everything else being a marketing premium. I would expect the launch price to be $549-599 US (also remember with a falling dollar pricing may change due to cost changes from their Chinese MFrs [Engineering Cards also made in Canada so that's a slight price change for US head-office :lol: ).

yelped

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
There is a reason for it being called 59xx and not 5870x2. According to rumors flying around since just before the 3870x2 was released, ATI was experimenting with shared GPU Memory, basically making it not Crossfire, but rather a Dual-Core GPU. Which should also mean that it scales perfectly even with 3 or more GPUs, since it's all shared.

So, it could be that they finally managed to pull it off, hence the name 59xx, rather than 5870x2, since it should perform better than two 5870s.

Who knows, maybe if it works out, they can put it in a future chipset, and, viola, even better than Lucid Hydra.

However, this is all speculation, and I haven't seen anyone mentioning that Hemlock will have this; I just put together the rumors from back then with a statement by someone in ATI, who stated "that it will be different than any Dual-GPU product before"(I don't recall where I saw that).

Looks like we have some interesting months ahead.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

ok but will the 5950 be better than the 5870?
I think it will, but i'm not sure....
(if it ever comes)

/drool :p

TRENDING THREADS