Windows Backup - Not Enough Space??

mikemosh511

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hey all, some searching relevant to my problem came up with unrelated topics, or somewhat related ones that the last post was a few months ago, so I wanted to start fresh.

I am trying to backup my C drive (50gb used of 120), which was the only drive installed at the time of windows installation, to my E (500gb totally empty drive). I have Steam and some rarely used programs installed on my H (raptors in raid) drive, and documents/pics/movies/downloads on my D drive (2tb)

Doing the manual backup, I set it to IGNORE the libraries, and only copy the C drive. Literally nothing else was checked.

It took about 5-6 hours, but after only getting ~30% through the backup, it failed due to lack of space.

How does a 50gb drive being backed up, even if it is twice because I am making an ISO, use up all of 500gb before finishing?

Thanks

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Its actually funny, I'm running the same exact config as you too with my drives. I have 2x150 raptors for my boot. My back is right around 300GB total. How's the Revo? I was looking to buy one for my new setup.

I'm using Win7 Ulitmate with the imaging built, I'm not sure if its the same utility in professional. Something definitely seems wrong... It sounds likes somehow its selecting something on your other volumes to back up. Have your tried deselecting everything and select like 1 file and backing that up?

mikemosh511

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
The revo can be a pain to install due to some driver issues, but other than that it has been fantastic. The longest part of my bootup is the BIOS, and the whole thing takes about 22 seconds from plugging it in.

I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly and made this post as I was running out the door. I'll try it with just a small file tomorrow. Thanks

mikemosh511

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Well, I did a backup of just a simple modding tool + the system image. The System image came out to ~25gb.

I would however like to find a way to back up my entire C drive into one system image, sort of like doing a backup of an Android ROM. It would be amazing to reformat and have all my previous programs installed. I just wish it wasn't taking up 9-10x more space than it should be.