PSU problem

fuz12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I just built a new system and everything was running smoothly until i launched a game and the computer shut off and restarted itself a few moments later. I know it has something to do with the power supply because I hooked up a different one and things are running fine. The original one is an OCZ GameXStream 700W which I thought would be plenty. The other one I tried hooking up was an OCZ 850W psu from a different computer. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 920
2 x GTS 250 1GB SLI
3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz
WD 1TB hdd
OCZ GameXStream 700W

Do you think the psu is deffective? I was certain 700W would be enough to run 2 GTS 250's in SLI but I may be wrong. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

ares1214

Splendid
actually, 700 watts might not be enough. i know it isnt the most accurate thing, but at the newegg wattage calculator it say your system is 722 watts, so that might be why. both psu are quality, so i dont think it is a defect.

You tried another PSU problem fixed. That points to your original PSU. Being 700 watt it should be big enough but what amps does it have on the +12 volt rails. If there is plenty of amps it is most likely something wrong with it.

I got 453 watts using Antec's calculator and I added in an optical drive, 4 USB, 1 firewire 15% capacitor aging, bunch of fans and an OC to 3.2 GHz

With twin GFX cards and serious OC, I'd look at a Antec SG-850 or Corsair HX-750/850
W/o heavy OC and Antec SG or TP 650 or a Corsair TX650 should do