Hmm still having problems

Killer_au

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Ok i dont know how many of you guys know but about a month ago my mobo decided to crap itself! I was running...

XFX 8300 mobo
AMD Phenom II 940BE
4gb corsair dominator ram
HIS 4890 turbo edition 1gb
corsair TX650W PSU

ok so the mobo blew and now i have purchased a

DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB M2RSH

everything else in my PC is what is was before and it runs great... most ot the time. Ok so the issues r as follows

GRID runs fine on max graphics BUT when i try to change the graphics i get a black screen with light grey lines down it and have to do a restart?

CRYSIS also runs max at about 30fps but sometimes it will crash after 10 mins and the pc will restart other times i can play it for 10 hours at a time with no probs

GTA4 does the same as crysis

Other notes..

I am running vista fully updated
i have the latest drivers for all my hardware
nothing overheats and as my graph card is a turbo edition its runs OC'ed at about 70 deg
does ne1 know my prob i think personally its a compatibility issue with Radeon and the games i am playing
as i had no probs with my old 8600GT OC but if ne1 has ne idears it would be verry helpful thnx

Solution
Your cpu is running too hot, then. You can try to reseat the heatsink, but you may want to buy an aftermarket cooler. The reason some can get the cpu up to 4.2 GHz stable on the stock heatsink is because not every chip is the same. If you have a cpu that requires less power to achieve the same clock, you can get impressive OC's on stock heatsink. Your cpu, however seems to require a little more power.

The PSU that's listed in your info (the 650 W) is plenty. You won't need more unless you want to CF, and even then, you might be fine.
Your crashes in Crysis/GTA4 are probably something else, as those should run fine. These are full system crashes and automatic restarts? That seems like a hardware issue. Have you run memtest from a boot disk?
http://www.memtest.org/

Is your RAM running at the correct voltage and timings?

Check all your temps, not just GPU:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I would expect GRID to run well also, but perhaps it's a driver issue or such.

Killer_au

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Ill check my ram this whole mobo seems to have thrown out my settings could this be the problem? for eg. my processor is fine but as you said my ram is running at 800mhz and its corsair dominator 1066mhz

These are the power requirements so i may have a probem here as the requirements added together = over 900w

DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB M2RSH - 300w
AMD Phenom II 940BE -125w
4gb corsair dominator ram - not much
HIS 4890 turbo edition 1gb - 550w
corsair TX650W PSU

i will also try down clocking my GPU at the moment it runs at 900mhz but factory spec 4890's run at 800-850 i didnt do stability testing as the card is a turbo edition it is factory OC i dont tamp with it :p

yes i installed a new OS after i got the new mobo

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Those power requirements aren't meant to be added, they're meant for the highest one to be taken and used to determine a suitable PSU. In this case, the 4890 at 550 W. This means that you need a PSU of at least 550 W (I won't go into detail about rails, as that's a little complicated).
This is a nice program to get a loose idea about your computer's power requirements;
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

As for your temp, the 940 should stay below 62 C. Knowing this, yes, your cpu appears to be running hot. Is your CPU fan stock or aftermarket?

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Not that you should'nt consider a problem with the PSU but figures are off/
DFI motherboard about 15w
Amd 940BE 125w all out 200w
4 gb ram about 12w
His 4890 1 gig 90 idle about 210w all out
Hard drive's others about 30w

Not acurate by any means but about 470w total under normal load

Set bios for ram to EPP clock and EPP voltage if present. Otherwise manually set to 533x2 and 2.1volts.
If anything else was damaged when old board went you'll find out. Sounds like corruption of some video files which can happen but after setting ram correctly, removing over clocks which arent factory set, removing and reinstalling drivers you'll have a better idea. You can overclock after fixing everthing and getting stable. Sometimes I forget to get the updates for some of my programs after reinstalling from scratch.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The rest of your info is correct, but the tdp of a cpu (125 W in this case) is the total displacement power, meaning that that is the max power the cpu will ever use at stock volt and clock. If a tested cpu can't operate under those power constraints, they are either shipped a lower clock or recycled.

Killer_au

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
hey guys thanx for the help i will try to set my ram correctly. its the stock phenom cooler but ppl have the stock cooler witch has copper pipping set @ 4.2 ghz stable
its Black edition so its built for it. neways my whole system runs at stock clocks everything is at factory settings

this is another print screen after running grid for about 1hour 70deg??
[IMG=http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7271/runninggrid2.jpg][/IMG]

also in my user manual for my mobo it says you must have a minimum 300W PSU??
and the graph card is a HIS turbo edition and in that user guide it says minimum 550W PSU??

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Your cpu is running too hot, then. You can try to reseat the heatsink, but you may want to buy an aftermarket cooler. The reason some can get the cpu up to 4.2 GHz stable on the stock heatsink is because not every chip is the same. If you have a cpu that requires less power to achieve the same clock, you can get impressive OC's on stock heatsink. Your cpu, however seems to require a little more power.

The PSU that's listed in your info (the 650 W) is plenty. You won't need more unless you want to CF, and even then, you might be fine.

Solution

Killer_au

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Cool thanx for the help again i have my ram running @ 1066mhz now so thats help but the cpu is still getting hot. where can i get an aftermarket cooler and whats the best thing for phenomII i have never looked into this side of things so i dont know what to look 4.

Killer_au

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009