Sign in with
Your question

PC will not stay on

Last response: in Windows XP
March 12, 2012 3:53:27 PM

PC comes on for about ten seconds and then shuts off. PSU is good, all voltages are good. Replaced the CPU. Could it be something in the "bios". Any ideas? Anything else I could try

More about : stay

a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 9:43:31 PM

artminchin said:
PC comes on for about ten seconds and then shuts off. PSU is good, all voltages are good. Replaced the CPU. Could it be something in the "bios". Any ideas? Anything else I could try

You replaced the Processor? why, was it damaged?... The symptoms you're getting are as if the processor is overheating... it only takes a few seconds to overheat if the heatsink is not making good contact with the processor or if the cooler fan is not working. Check the fan works and at the right speed and use some thermal grease between processor and heatsink. The only setting in the BIOS I can think of that could remotely cause this problem is the thermal protection shut off setting... but it would shut down the processor when starting to overheat, so check the processor cooler before anything.
m
l
March 13, 2012 1:19:54 PM

The heat sink is making good contact. The fan is working and turning the correct direction (changed the fan). Could the hard drive shut the PC down when it comes on?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2012 3:15:30 PM

Check the motherboard for any issues, especially bad capacitors. If the motherboard looks good, try a new power supply. If that does not cure it, can try RAM since you already replaced the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2012 6:45:14 PM

artminchin said:
The heat sink is making good contact. The fan is working and turning the correct direction (changed the fan). Could the hard drive shut the PC down when it comes on?

The hard drive is unlikely... HDs can can shutdown or not run and the PC will still run... besides the BIOS does not need the HD. Remove each RAM module at a time to see if it makes a difference... click on the link and follow all their instructions for a complete check. The person had the exact same problem as your's.

Computer starts up for only about 10 seconds, then shuts off
m
l
March 15, 2012 1:36:00 AM

Chicano said:
The hard drive is unlikely... HDs can can shutdown or not run and the PC will still run... besides the BIOS does not need the HD. Remove each RAM module at a time to see if it makes a difference... click on the link and follow all their instructions for a complete check. The person had the exact same problem as your's.

Computer starts up for only about 10 seconds, then shuts off

Have not tried to remove RAM yet. His problem was a little different, his PC would cycle on and off, mine just shuts down after I turn it on. one more thing, i found if I unplug the four pin plug, (I think it feds the CPU 12 volts) the PC stays on but it doesn't do anything, I guess this would be normal if the CPU is turned off
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 2:08:21 AM

artminchin said:
Have not tried to remove RAM yet. His problem was a little different, his PC would cycle on and off, mine just shuts down after I turn it on. one more thing, i found if I unplug the four pin plug, (I think it feds the CPU 12 volts) the PC stays on but it doesn't do anything, I guess this would be normal if the CPU is turned off

The only difference between your problem and the other person could be the way Windows XP is configured.. could be he had it configured to restart and you have it configured to shutdown.... So it may indeed be the same problem.

Right the four pin plug feeds the processor... and if it's not fed power, it doesn't do anything, and doesn't heat-up.. And no overheating, could mean no shutdowns... it could also mean the RAM is not being read by the processor,.. so if the problem was the ram, it would have no effect.

You haven't mentioned why you replaced the processor, or if the new processor has worked, for how long, or if the computer hasn't worked since. Also, can you see the BIOS post,.. and could you see it before replacing the processor?
m
l
March 22, 2012 3:40:13 PM

PC does not stay on long enough to see BIOS post, it was the same before I changed the CPU. Ordered new RAM, waiting for shipment
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 3:50:55 PM

artminchin said:
PC does not stay on long enough to see BIOS post, it was the same before I changed the CPU. Ordered new RAM, waiting for shipment

Should try a new power supply before anything, then motherboard, RAM, CPU would be pretty much last to try. Bad RAM or CPU would almost always be crashes or reboots while the system was running, and will also usually end up with some sort of error beep code from the system.

If the computer just shuts down after power up, power supply or motherboard are way more likely to be the cause.
m
l
!