Put a vga in a gateway GM5442

jkool55

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I am currently thinking of putting in a video card for a Gateway GM5442 that was purchased in 07. Here are the specs for the computer.

-Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Dual Core Processor
-Intel 945G chipset
-2 gigs o' DDR2, 533 MHz, (PC4200) dual channel memory
-500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
-Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
-15-in-1 high speed digital media manager
-DVD ±RW, 16X multi-format dual layer drive

There is also a network/ modem card as well as a tv tuner in place. The card will go in a PCIe x16 slot. (It is not 2.0).

Here is the kicker, there is only a 300 watt power supply with no available leads which wouldn't really matter I guess since the graphics card can only get power from the pcie slot anyways.

I am thinking of a 9400 GT however, I am open to other options. Firstly, the recommended wattage on nvidia's site for the 9400 is 300 watts, will I be able to even run the 9400 in the first place?

jkool55

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for your response, but with 40+ 115 dollars i would rather take that 155 and put that into a 500 dollar system. The 9400 would be an attempt to help out this 3 year old system. In my opinion anything over 40 bucks wouldn't be worth updating a E4400 in a 945G chipset. In addition, even if I did spend 155 bucks for the power supply and the graphics card (which are very good recommendations and I thank you for the suggestion) it seems like the other hardware would bottleneck the graphics card. As a side note, like all pre built systems, the power supply position is always really awkward and hard to work with. In my mind its just not worth it to put a new psu in. I guess it was my fault not specifying the usage. This will not be used for heavy gaming at all. Its just only a fix to add a little life into a system for my parents that don't want to spend any money at all to update their computer.

You can always take the PSU and video card with you to a new system. Just a thought. A 4850 will not really be "bottle necked" in your system. Yes, it would run faster on a faster CPU, but that really isn't a bottleneck. ATI cards are less reliant on CPU performance than Nvidia cards. ATI has really FAT drivers that allow it to perform better on older systems. Just keep the old PSU if you ever want to sell the system and keep your upgraded parts.