Would this graphics card setup be worthwhile?

G

currently using an ati xtx1950 series card with 512 ram, and 3Gb ram on the mobo, I run almost everything in 1920x1200 res. on windows xp.

now sometime in the next year I plan on buying myself a new machine and giving this one to my wife, however, there a some games coming out soon that I'd really like to play without dropping everything to low settings, so I'm looking around for some cheapo ways to get a little boost out of this system, the main option I'm thinking is installing another xtx1950 in crossfire, when I built this machine I made sure I had the option because it was getting popular at the time. so I know I have everything needed. but I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews about how good crossfire is, even on this site it kind of varies, some say its only worth it for a small selection of games, some say for the price it's not really worth it at all just buy a bigger vid card, some say it's always worth it for a high res display regardless of what games... so I figured I'd lay out my situation here and see what kind of suggestions I'd get.

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

-Makari

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Crossfire two x1950's? Hmm .. you would probably need to go look for some crossfire reviews of those two cards, for starters. I am not feeling too great or else I'd give you a hand. Honestly I don't recall how well those particular cards ran in crossfire. In higher RES though .. I would imagine the extra card would definitely give you a pretty decent boost however. The drivers have matured to a point where all the kinks are probably worked out as far as x-fire goes so I would imagine you'd get a pretty decent boost in modern games. However without looking at some reviews from back when the cards were new, I couldn't really tell you for sure whether or not the money you'd spend on a second card would truly be worth the money and effort.