Your question

Upgrading and overclocked system

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2010 1:58:40 PM

Hi

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5R
Intel i7 2.66GHz o/c 3.6GHz
3GB Corsair PC10600 1333Mhz DDR3;

I would like to upgrade memory to 6GB and I have done this many times on a system that is not overclocked but I am wondering if with my system as it is overclocked I can still just slap in some replacement memory or if changes would be required to the overclocking settings? [I did not do the overclocking - was done by the vendor]

What would be the best memory for my system if not that already installed?

Thanks in advance.
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 2:52:42 PM

Oddly enough, I neither have a manual for that part number, nor can find it at my usual 'selection' haunt:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...
Assuming you have the six slots on the other 58-UD5's, you are best off adding three more sticks of the exact same part number RAM - there is no reason (and several 'gotcha's) to run 1156/1366 socketed boards at any faster RAM clocks - 1333 is the highest officially supported by Intel - everything else is 'smoke and mirrors' done by the MOBO/RAM manufacturers, in search of higher profits/bigger market share...
March 20, 2010 3:32:41 PM

Should have been GA-EX58-UD5 Typo. Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify what you have said about overclocking are you suggesting that I should consider setting clock speed back to defaults? And that the overclocking applied by the vendor of my PC is not a good idea?

Could you expand a bit for me on your reply? Thanks.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 4:54:14 PM

You can OC the processor, etc., just leave the memory alone - it will run fast enough so you'd never see the dfference caused by raising th RAM clocking - just the way it is,,,
March 20, 2010 5:54:52 PM

Sorry to display such ignorance of my own system but can I take it that you looked at the CPU-Z file I uploaded and confirmed that processor overclocked but memory speed has not been changed from deafult...?
March 21, 2010 7:53:05 AM

Sorry that was something else.

CPU-Z images of CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 1:56:06 PM

CPU-Z is saying your memory is underclocked a bit, but it's sort of gotta be that way... Your Bclk is set at 180 to OC your processor, and your memory multiplier is set a 6, so 6 x 180 = 1080; the problem is, that the next available memopy multiplier is 8, but 8 x 180 = 1440, which is higher than your memory is rated for, and likely won't work...

The best fairly simple explanation I could find, without having to start from scratch myself is this:
Quote:
The operating frequencies of many aspects of a Core i7-based system are derived from a single BCLK (base clock) speed, which runs at 133MHz by default. Some like to think of the base clock as an equivalent to the FSB speed, but that’s not the case. Core i7 systems no longer have an FSB; the base clock is simply a reference point by which other CPU and system components derive their frequency. For example, by default, a Core i7-based system’s memory will operate with an 8X multiplier; 8 x 133.3MHz = 1,066MHz, which is the officially supported memory speed for Core i7 processors. Raise either the multiplier or the base clock speed, and the memory will operate at a higher frequency.

and found this, which may help:

The page the image came from has a pretty much 'in-depth' explanation:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-92...
March 29, 2010 7:14:09 PM

Thanks for that. Would you say that it is worth overclocking the system the way it is at the expense of the reduced memory performance...? Sorry if that's a dumb question but that's why I am asking before making any decisions.

What I am finding at the moment is that it's the memory that can max out for me at times. Usually at start up with start up virus scan and and active synchronisation to mirrored hard drive, definitly with win xp mode running too.
March 29, 2010 7:15:58 PM

.....that's why I was thinking of adding more memory
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 7:36:51 PM

I think that the general concensus for i7-920's is to raise the Bclk to 200 or a 'twitch' higher, which, at its 'locked' x20 multiplier, gives you 4GHz(+?); to accomodate your 1333 memory, this would require use of the x6 memory multiplier which, once again, won't give you the rated frequency (6 x 200 is 1200), but - trust me - you'll never 'see' the difference! There is an excellent, illustrated GB tutorial on OCing 920's:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5moyzjmqvtv
it's 'aimed at' the X58-extreme board, but the concepts are applicable to any i7/X58 GB MOBO...
March 29, 2010 8:42:44 PM

OK I was planning to buy 3 x TR3X6G1333C9 to replace the 3 x XMS3 CM3X1G1333C9 that I currently have installed effectively doubling my RAM to 6GB.

Can I do this without having to touch any CPU over clock settings?

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 1:26:46 AM

That is a question for Corsair. The timings you are 'shown' may match, but no manufacturer posts or publishes the (vastly important!) 'sub-timings' recommended for their RAM - except in rare cases, on support forums - and even then, they're more likely to PM 'em to you!

It's a big, deep, dark secret[:fixitbil:9]
March 30, 2010 6:30:34 PM

Oh God, this just gets more complicated!

Are these sub timings relevant to the CPU over clocking, a match with the existing RAM, both and/or something else.

Are the complications basically to do with the CPU over clocking? I never gave any of this a second thought on other machines (which were not over clocked).

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 7:00:03 PM

these are wwhat yiou see:
•CAS (tCL) Timing: CAS stands for Column Address Strobe or Column Address Select. It controls the amount of time in cycles between sending a reading command and the time to act on it. From the beginning of the CAS to the end of the CAS is the latency. The lower the time of these in cycles, the higher the memory performance.
e.g.: 4-4-4-12 The bold “4” is the CAS timing.
•tRCD Timing: RAS to CAS Delay (Row Address Strobe/Select to Column Address Strobe/Select). Is the amount of time in cycles for issuing an active command and the read/write commands.
e.g.: 4-4-4-12 The bold “4” is the tRCD timing.
•tRP Timing: Row Precharge Time. This is the minimum time between active commands and the read/writes of the next bank on the memory module.
e.g.: 4-4-4-12 The bold “4” is the tRP timing.
•tRAS Timing: Min RAS Active Time. The amount of time between a row being activated by precharge and deactivated. A row cannot be deactivated until tRAS has completed. The lower this is, the faster the performance, but if it is set too low, it can cause data corruption by deactivating the row too soon.
tRAS = tCL + tRCD + tRP (+/- 1) so that it gives everything enough time before closing the bank.

e.g.: 4-4-4-12 The bold “12” is the tRAS timing.
(The 4-4-4-12 figure is just an example for main memory timings.)

These areb the ones you dont:

Advanced Memory Timings

•tRRD Timing: (Act to Act Delay) Row to Row Delay or RAS to RAS Delay. The amount of cycles that it takes to activate the next bank of memory. It is the opposite of tRAS. The lower the timing, the better the performance, but it can cause instability.
•tWTR Timing: (Rank Write To Read Delay) Write to Read Delay. The amount of cycles required between a valid write command and the next read command. Lower is better performance, but can cause instability.
•tRW Timing: (Write To Precharge Delay)Write Recovery Time. The amount of cycles that are required after a valid write operation and precharge. This is to insure that data is written properly.
•tRFC Timing: (Refresh To Act Delay) Row Refresh Cycle Timing. This determines the amount of cycles to refresh a row on a memory bank. If this is set too short it can cause corruption of data and if it is too high, it will cause a loss in performance, but increased stability.
•tRTP Timing: (Read To Precharge Delay) Number of clocks that are inserted between a read command to a row pre-charge command to the same rank.

Below Values are not in ALL BIOS's (See Below link for a FULL List of Values)

•tRTW/tRWT Timing: Read to Write Delay. When a write command is received, this is the amount of cycles for the command to be executed.
•tRC Timing: Row Cycle Time. The minimum time in cycles it takes a row to complete a full cycle. This can be determined by; tRC = tRAS + tRP. If this is set too short it can cause corruption of data and if it is to high, it will cause a loss in performance, but increase stability.
•tREF Timing: The amount of time it takes before a charge is refreshed so it does not lose its charge and corrupt. Measured in micro-seconds (µsec).
•tWCL Timing: Write CAS number. Write to whatever bank is open to be written too. Operates at a rate of 1T, but can be set to others. It does not seem to work with other settings than 1T on DDR. DDR2 is different though.
•Command Rate: Also called CPC (Command Per Clock). The amount of time in cycles when the chip select is executed and the commands can be issued. The lower (1T) the faster the performance, but 2T is used to maintain system stability. On Intel based machines, 1T is always used where the number of banks per channel are limited to 4.
•Static tREAD Value: (tRD) This setting is most commonly known as Performance Level or tRD this is the most effective chipset performance register available to adjustment. As FSB and memory speed are scaled/increased, tRD and Northbridge voltage will have to be increased to accommodate the additional data throughput. The idea when tweaking your system for the BEST performance is to run the tightest (Lowest) tRD possible at any given FSB or memory speed. See Below Link for more reading on this
!