Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
system specs:-
qx 6700 processor overclocked 3.66 mhz
asus p 5k premiun m/b
2048 mb corsair xms ram
powercolor 4870 1gb gpu
seasonic ss-600 ht power supply

The main purpose of my rig is gaming.i just wondered would be worth upgrading my current rig to a core i7 system or would i be better off buying 5870 graphics card and maybe update my power supply. i roughly have 650 gbp for my budget.

Just drop your 4870 and buy the 5870. They suck about the same amount of power. Don't worry about the i7, if you already have an OCed quad. You will see a MUCH larger increase in gaming with a better GPU than CPU. To get the i7 you would have to replace your mobo, ram, CPU. Just toss in a new vid card and enjoy.

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
The GPU is the bottleneck for gaming, so I'd upgrade the video card. The i7 won't give you much a performance increase. From the look of your current system, it would eat up anything you threw at it with a new video card.

Yeah the GPU is what gives you the pretty pictures....

I usually upgrade my base system every 3 years, mobo cpu, ram. And video every year. It keeps my somewhat up to date. The video is the big thing.

expat

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
thanks to all. i know i had 2 threads running for more or less the same thing you see i,m new to this forum lark.anyway thats decided i,m definitly going to upgrade my gpu and maybe get windows 7 to see me through and on jays advice leave my base until i really notice a difference or win the lottery whichever comes first lol cya