Think my temps are too high

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'm rather new to the whole overclocking thing. I've read tons of guides, and think I get it (To a certain extent.)

I've gotten my 2700k from the stock 3.5 to 4.5.. But now I'm hitting issues.

So first off, my idle temps seem high, but I'm not sure what the norm for this processor are...

38-40 degree's idle, 65-72 when running blend with prime95

Are those normal? High? I've got the antec df-85 with all the possible fans I can have, and even have the Cooler master hyper 212+ evo. My old i5 was significantly cooler... Could I have seated the heatsink wrong? (I'm always paranoid when it comes to seating that damn thing)

Current VCore is 1.3... Which also seems to be a bit high to be stable with 4.5, but I'm a total newb =S

And if someone could actually point me to an OC guide... There are tons out there, and many of them seem outdated =S

My mobo is a MSI P67A-GD65 if you need that.

Any help would be awesome =)

Solution
It just so happens that one of our moderators did an OC guide for your motherboard last year:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

And ... don't wory about idle temps. Load temps are the critical ones. And yours are at the high edge of acceptable.

And I think you misunderstand about the CM Hyper 212+. The 212+ (Evo or not) is not an excellent cooler. It is so popular because it is a very good cooler at an excellent price. An excellent cooler would probably lower your load temps by 5 - 7 C, but cost twice as much.
It just so happens that one of our moderators did an OC guide for your motherboard last year:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

And ... don't wory about idle temps. Load temps are the critical ones. And yours are at the high edge of acceptable.

And I think you misunderstand about the CM Hyper 212+. The 212+ (Evo or not) is not an excellent cooler. It is so popular because it is a very good cooler at an excellent price. An excellent cooler would probably lower your load temps by 5 - 7 C, but cost twice as much.

Solution

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Ah thanks!

I guess I should begin searching for a new cooler in that case. The idle temps have just scared me, due to the fact my i5 was running between 27 and 33 with a smaller case, and the same cooler =S