Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GB-P55A-UD4P and LAN ports

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2010 2:10:41 PM

Greetings all,

I have a fairly new (2 months or so old) P55A-UD4P motherboard. It comes with two gigabit LAN ports and I have BOTH ports enabled in the BIOS. Up until recently I was using port 2 for my internet and port 1 was left empty. Today while booting up my network wouldn't start, I looked at the back of my PC and the light was not on for port 2 even though the cable was plugged in okay. I tried plugging it into port 1 and the light went on and that works. I would hate it if part of my MB was defective, even though it's so new. I did one thing out of the ordinary yesterday:

I turned off AHCI->IDE so I could install Win XP on one of my empty HDDs (needed it for work). Win XP installed fine and it recognized both my LAN ports... I had a weird lag when establishing new connections so I decided to disable port 1 (in Win XP, not the BIOS) since I wasn't using it. Today when I booted into my Linux 64 bit install the network wouldn't start. I tried it in Win 7 as well and it didn't work their either. I tried it in Win XP and had the same issue. I decided to re-enable port 1 and tried it with that and it seems to work okay. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

More about : p55a ud4p lan ports

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 3:10:10 PM

Are you OC'd? Do you have your PCIe frequency 'bumped' (or set at 'Auto' when OCing - should be manually set at 100 or so...)? If so, the LAN chips are the first thing to 'fall off the bus' when PCIe clock rises too high, usually at about 104-108 MHz...
m
l
March 20, 2010 3:14:42 PM

I haven't touched the PCIe frequency, it should still be on auto. I have increased teh voltage and timings for my RAM because the BIOS did not autodetect it very well, so I set them to the manufacturers specs. The CPU is slightly overclocked (i5 750 runnings at 2.8GHz instead of 2.66). Would this cause problems with the LAN ports? Also is that permanent as in it can't be fixed?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 4:56:34 PM

There are problems with the 'Auto' dividers to select PCIe speed if anything else is 'boosted'; set it to 100 and see if your problem goes away...
m
l
March 20, 2010 5:44:14 PM

I did so and it's not working but there was a change, when I plug the cable in the, the orange light does NOT go on, but the green light does flash from time to time, it didn't do that before. What do you think that means?
m
l
March 20, 2010 6:11:00 PM

Ran the diagnostics on both cards, port/card 1 passes all the tests, port 2 fails one of them:
MAC Loopback but it passes the other 5: Register, PHY loopback, IRQ, FIFO
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 7:28:47 PM

EEkk! Not good... :(  The MAC address of your adapters is way down in the ethernet protocol 'stack'; if they, somehow, become 'defunct', your LAN chip, and it's drivers are, effectively' 'blind'. I gotta dig to see what that loopback does, as I've never, ever, heard of a MAC itself being damaged or missing... It's effectively just a read-only register with some (unique) numbers in it - acts like your home address; used to relate your IP address to the physical port it's 'bound' to...
m
l
March 21, 2010 2:29:09 PM

Wow not good indeed. In any event after some fiddling in Win 7 64 bit (disabling, renabling the driver etc etc) I can get it to connect to my network using the faulty port, but it only connects at 10mbps instead of the 1gpbs I get from the proper port, not sure if this is relevant.
Thank you for your help, most appreciated!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 3:20:35 PM

Well - this may take a bit - I'm absolutely positive I have (quite accidentally) seen a manual for the diagnostic utility on GB's site somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it now! ^%$#
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:49:20 AM

Enter BIOS and press F9, do the LAN ports displaying reasonable MAC address?
If one of the LAN MAC shows like "FFFF......" or "0000......", try flashing your BIOS once again. If things are not getting better, send this board to RMA and they will help to restore the MAC address back (if your board lost it).
m
l
March 22, 2010 9:53:44 PM

The LAN MAC hasn't changed as far as I can tell, they don't have weird address or look different. THe bad news is that the OTHER LAN PORT is now busted as well. This happened after I had been working in Win XP for about 6 hours, everything working okay, I reboot, go into the BIOS, turn on AHCI and rearrange the boot order of my hard drives, then when I boot into Linux neither LAN port is working. :( 

I haven't tried flashing the BIOS yet, do you still think that might solve the problem?
Thank you
m
l
March 22, 2010 10:17:13 PM

Okay flashed the BIOS, updated it from F6 to F8... Still no change.

I had no issue with my LAN until I installed Win XP on one of my empty harddrives... The process was a bit umm weird because my XP install CD would blue screen if I had AHCI turned on, also I had Win 7 installed on my first HDD so what I had to do to get it working was turn off AHCI (set it to IDE) and change the boot order and make my empty HDD the first one. Then Win XP would install fine. I used the CD that came with the MB to install all the drivers in Windows. Could this have caused the problems I am seeing now? Thank you.
m
l
March 22, 2010 11:25:15 PM

Oh and on top of that after flashing to F8 the issue I had with my PC freezing on my has come back! Even though I set my settings back to the way they used to be... See this thread for that little fun I had:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280279-31-unstable-sy...
Feeling very frustrated right now
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:43:49 AM

Just wondering... do the LEDs on the LAN ports light up when inside BIOS? There seem to be an option "Smart LAN" inside BIOS, is it running? When entered OS, do the LEDs on the LAN ports light up?
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:23:52 AM

The light that usually goes on as soon as a cable is plugged in no longer lights up, not in the BIOS, not in Linux, not in Win 7/XP. The Smart LAN option when run never detects the cable, it always gives the Normal / Length = 0 m no matter if a cable is plugged in or not. The activity light does blink and i can actually make one of the ports work somewhat, it only operates at 10mbps when it should operate at 1000mbps. Should I RMA the board or is there something else I can try? I would really hate to have to RMA it since this is also my work computer. Thanks

Also I loaded optimized defaults and the system seems more stable now, I haven't frozen since I did that
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 11:41:02 AM

The Xp thing is completely normal, and not related to the problem with the LAN; to use AHCI in Xp, you need to load the <F6> 'pre-install' drivers at the very beiginning; AHCI drivers are 'native' to seven...

As for the 'in-BIOS' diagnostic thing - I've never seen it work worth a damn, on any GB - I just gave up on it as one of those 'neat ideas', like the 35/43/43 'C' suffix chipsets that were supposed to work with either DDR2 or DDR3, that just never 'panned-out'! And, I always figured I'm pretty good at simply 'seeing' that I've got a cable unplugged! Have only ever seen one 'in-wire' CAT5 open-circuit, and that was because some lummox had never heard of pulling lube, and pulled a plenum run with a block and tackle [:bilbat:2] !

It really does begin to sound as if you have an actual hardware problem; as for the RMA, I'm not positive they'll have a procedure for it, but you could inquire about a 'cross-ship'... Obviously, the easiest thing to do is simply pick up a couple LAN cards and stick 'em in - I had an older machine here that had either 10 or 100 on-board, and I think I paid, like, seven dollars for a single port GLAN card :sol: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 11:51:41 AM

Just a couple ideas for LAN issues with my P55-UD4P:

1.) Make sure any "Green LAN" option is off in the BIOS for both ports.

2.) Try uninstalling (in Device manager) and reinstalling new LAN drivers several times.
m
l
March 23, 2010 12:02:30 PM

1. It's off, if I turn it on, the board actually shuts of both ports no matter if they have a cable plugged in or not... It's like it can't recognize something's been plugged in.

2. Done this, what is weird is that this is a problem in all three OSes, all three with different drivers which makes me think it's a hardware problem :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 7:26:27 PM

Yeah, I have a bad feeling you are right. You shouldn't have to be doing all this. At some point you should probably write to GB support and star getting an RMA going.
May 28, 2010 3:01:53 PM

Sorry to bump. I'm having the same problem. I was wondering if OP eventually did RMA or fixed it.

I would start a new thread but I'm on vacation and can't remember if its a P55 or P55A. First I had problem with one LAN port in teaming. Disabled it. Then had random lockups in internet game (hard lock, no blue screen, hit power for 5 sec for hard shutdown). Ran memory tests and was getting random lock ups. After mem tests, both LAN ports are dead in Windows 7 and Scientific linux 64.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 4:39:35 PM

First thing I'd try is to look in device manager - see if anybody's coming up with the little 'yellow triangle with an exclamation mark' that indicates a potential problem...

Next, right-click on the LAN controllers (each one, one at a time...), select the details tab, and then 'problem code' in the top 'drop-box':

If it thinks 'all is well', it should display zero:

if not; well, then we have something to work from...
m
l
October 4, 2010 8:37:57 PM

Has anybody made any headway with this problem? My Gigabyte P55A mobo is behaving pretty much the same as described here. One port won't show any lights at all with a cable connected. The other lights sometimes. I've seen both ports in Win 7 x64's Device Manager, and at other times, I've seen 1, and sometimes ZERO Ethernet ports.

I've also had sporadic spells of Windows BSOD that state, unhelpfully, that a hardware device has stopped responding and the system was shut down. No codes or messages beyond that. I'm not sure if this is related to the Ethernet port problem or something else.

Any ideas?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 9:37:34 PM

Do you have the newest BIOS?

Also, do you have 'Green LAN' turned off?

And finally, might need to RMA, since if both of the above are true and you have the newest drivers and windows updates, this shouldn't be happening.
m
l
October 5, 2010 1:24:05 PM

EXT64 said:
Do you have the newest BIOS?

Also, do you have 'Green LAN' turned off?

And finally, might need to RMA, since if both of the above are true and you have the newest drivers and windows updates, this shouldn't be happening.

I had the F13 BIOS. I downgraded to F12 to see if that changed anything. I've tried Green LAN both on and off. The in-BIOS port check comes back as 0m cable length sometimes and other times it just freezes when I try to run the check.

Gigabyte wants me to waste time troubleshooting what to me is tangential, like removing sticks of RAM. I don't see how failure to get a link light on an Ethernet port could POSSIBLY be related to RAM problems.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 8:08:43 PM

Yeah, unfortunately it sounds like the board is the issue, however the only way to fix the board is through GB. I once had the issue where my P55-UD4P, which was working great, suddenly lost the ethernet ports. In my case repeated driver uninstalls and installs finally got them working again (and they have worked great ever since).

You don't happen to have a second hard drive around so that you could try a full windows reinstall just to rule out software, do you?
m
l
October 5, 2010 8:39:59 PM

EXT64 said:
Yeah, unfortunately it sounds like the board is the issue, however the only way to fix the board is through GB. I once had the issue where my P55-UD4P, which was working great, suddenly lost the ethernet ports. In my case repeated driver uninstalls and installs finally got them working again (and they have worked great ever since).

You don't happen to have a second hard drive around so that you could try a full windows reinstall just to rule out software, do you?

Could I just try a Linux Live CD or Live USB flash drive instead? Do I really *need* a hard disk at all with this motherboard just to look for a link light? Shouldn't the in-BIOS test of the LAN ports pass no matter what?

I just took a Dell Latitude D630 that currently has NO hard drive, turned it on, plugged in the ethernet cable and I have link lights flashing away. So I'm not sure why this should be a problem with the OS.

What's the point of even HAVING in-BIOS LAN port testing if it means nothing?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 8:58:13 PM

Yep, my apologies, you are right. I forgot about the in bios testing. It has been a while since I messed with it.
m
l
February 8, 2011 8:02:59 AM

Possible solution:

In BIOS -> Integrated peripherals -> Enable onboard lan boot rom <- Set it to enabled.

Background:

Just thought I'd drop a note after managing to solve my issue very similar to this. I have a Gigabyte x58 UD7 mb, and I've been struggling with the dead LAN ports for some days now. Didn't find netcable in Win7 or Ubuntu. Ran the Gigabyte network diagnosis tool, with a resulting mac loopback failure. After trying to negotiate with the vendor for an RMA, I just happened upon that setting above and set it to enabled. Worked like a charm for me! :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2011 11:11:45 AM

Wow, that is interesting. I have not had any problems with them recently, (and I think I have that off, but not sure) but that is a good fix to know.
m
l
February 10, 2011 7:59:55 PM

nilsnh said:
Possible solution:

In BIOS -> Integrated peripherals -> Enable onboard lan boot rom <- Set it to enabled.

Background:

Just thought I'd drop a note after managing to solve my issue very similar to this. I have a Gigabyte x58 UD7 mb, and I've been struggling with the dead LAN ports for some days now. Didn't find netcable in Win7 or Ubuntu. Ran the Gigabyte network diagnosis tool, with a resulting mac loopback failure. After trying to negotiate with the vendor for an RMA, I just happened upon that setting above and set it to enabled. Worked like a charm for me! :) 

Hmm. One of the LAN ports has gone dead. :pfff:  Wonder how long the other one will last then. If both go, then I'll try what I did again and see it it helps. If not. RMA.
m
l
November 15, 2012 10:32:09 PM

I had a very similar integrated Ethernet problem to that listed here and found the problem was insufficient power. I had several USB peripherals connected (i.e. external drives), all drawing power. Disconnected a couple of them and Ethernet works fine. It seems that Ethernet is the first to go if power draw exceeds power supply. Perhaps try disconnecting some peripherals or upgrading your power supply to a higher wattage?
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:03:06 PM

Best answer selected by atrofast.
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:04:25 PM

Sorry for the long silence here, I sort of forgot about it. It turned out both the motherboard and at least one of the sticks of RAM were faulty (I didn't bother testing which one I just replaced both). I did a two step upgrade, got a new MB, got LAN worked just fine, but I still have the intermittent freezes so I replaced my RAM and haven't had a freeze since. So yeah it was definitely hardware. Thanks for all the help BTW!
m
l
!