Why all the AMD hate, guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Let us stop the fanboyism and acknowledge AMD's market strategy - the AVERAGE consumer not troubled by synthetic benchmark scores or maxing our Crysis. I see too much hate going on from both camps - let us make love not war. But in reality anyone who 'hates' AMD needs a friggin reality check. Intel will not be on top forever - anyone remember the Athlon series? People were sure AMD would lead the way forever after that.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I don't hate AMD,

If anything, as a company, I rather like AMD (especially ATi). I used to work for ATi and was quite fond of the way they treated their employees. When I ran my own computer business, I ran it as an authorized AMD reseller. I found AMD to be quite the willing company. They would assist with marketing materials (banners, signs etc) as well as marketing and sale strategies.

I found AMD to be quite the good partner. By contrast, Intel was never good to us white and grey box sellers. Intel was too busy pleasing the large OEMs and seemed to ignore us small guys.

But there is a difference, to me, between Corporatism, Favoritism and the facts. The fact is that I am a performance enthusiast. I enjoy building highly overclocked rigs tweaked to perfection. This leads me to be the candidate who is the least able to be biased. I buy what performs best. Brand Loyalty is not something I strive for (in fact it's a nuisance).

What has irritated me is that certain individuals love for a brand (fanbois) have begun spreading lies and misinformation in an attempt to dupe would be buyers into supporting their favorite brand. So you have the willfully ignorant leading the ignorant into acting as mouth pieces, in forums, for all things AMD (there was a time when this fanboyism affected Intel just as well).

I despise these individuals and my fight against them leads me to sound as though I were allied with the Intel camp (this has been the case since around 2006 when the Core 2 Duo was released). Should the performance crown move from Intel to AMD... I can assure you that you will see my purchasing decisions move as well.

I am quite certain that most users are just like me in that regard.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
The I5 750 beat the 965 in 23 out of 25 tests on A and A tech's review. It's not fanboism to not buy intel.. It's actually knowing how to read and buying the better product.

Newegg :

I5 750 - 199.99
Cheapest 1156 MB - 89.99

Total : 289.99

X4 965 - 185.99
Cheapest AM3 Board - 54.99

Total : 240.98

Difference : 49.01

If you're too cheap to spend the extra 50 bucks for the BETTER product then god help you

Totally correct on the performance aspect - Intels top of the line totally beats AMDS top of the line in pretty much 99% of the benchmarks. But the point is - it beats it marginally. Nobody really needs a quad core with 8 threads total, at least not he average consumer of products which make up the majority of the consumer market. That being said - performance wise there is not a difference between Intel and AMD. The only difference is that yes - $50 DOES make a selling point, Psycho. It is not that people are 'too cheap' or 'too ignorant' to dish up another $50 to buy an Intel processor - they just do not see the point when the comparisons shown are too marginal to bring up a reasonable explanation to do so. Damn you throw $50 around like it is nothing but that is my cell phone bill for the month. As a struggling college student - that is a big deal. The majority do not see the difference is my point and because of this I am praising AMD for their marketing strategy.

The problem with your point of view is that you are talking about the average consumer. And like you said the average consumer doesn't care about benchmarks. So how will they know that Intel is on top by a marginal amount? They don't care about percentages or even know where to find them. Even if you say that AMD is AS GOOD as Intel in the entry to mid level PC, the consumer only care that Intel has the best chip at the top.

It's like how most people would rather have a standard BMW 3 series versus Ford Taurus SHO. The sho has all the right stuff, but it's no BMW.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

You just totally contradicted your own point. If people do not know of the benchmarks as you stated the average consumer does not then why would they dish up extra for an Intel cpu? I think you should revise your point again because it makes absolutely no sense the way it was presented.

Because the average guy will ask their geek friend or the guy at Best Buy "who makes a better chip" and the geek guy or the guy at Best Buy, so tired of giving the rational explantion and having to watch the average guys eyes glaze over, will say Intel.

edit: incorrect use of they're which should be their

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Yes, some people only want whats the best out there, others however view things differently. I personally hate Intel with a passion. I acknowledge that they currently have the best cpu, but they purchased that crown. Ill stop there and keep on the topic.

In my perspective, when you buy a product from any company, you support that company and how they do business. I worked for Creative Tech support and certain products we would not support on an AMD processor. This was in 1998-2000. Customers had to call and get lucky enough to get the right tech who would help them install what they purchased. Most of these were the early dvd decoder cards and a few other products. Once installed everything worked just like its supposed to.

On the other side of things, I have had issues with early Nvidia cards, and huge driver issues with thier newer cards. This shoves me away from supporting (by purchasing) or trying another Nvidia card. Granted they may be much better now, but I have been burned twice already, I don't go for thirds.

So where does my money go? It goes to the company that I have never had problems with and that we need around and need to stay alive. I have never had a problem with AMD cpus nor ATI video cards. I know in my mind I didn't pay for products that forced people out of their jobs. I am completely happy with my computer even if the one next to me is running 5% faster.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
noob2222 you bring up a good point. Certainly, there have been boycotts against several companies because of how they do business - much like iPhone fanboys complaining about ATT yet they still stick with them because its the best phone in their minds. People need to wake up and realize that the company they buy things from are being directly supported - but this is another topic :p

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
point is is 750 at 2.6ghz is beating x4 965 at 3.4ghz so a intel process at 2.6ghz is the equivelant of a amd processor at 3.4 ..... seems to me intel is stretching its lead each time they bring out a new cpu .

I think this goes both ways. People tend to only see people "hating" AMD not the other way around.

If you want performance (not only gaming) Core i5/Core i7.

If you want budget then Phenom II X4.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I actually am in favor of both companies. I love and hate them both equally - I hate Intel for charging so much and I hate AMD for having 'inferior' products relative to Intel but I understand both companies are in a harmony with each other. Let us say that Intel goes bankrupt and the only consumer chip manufacturer is AMD. You know what would happen? We would have a huge bog down on hardware keeping up with software for a very long time. Intel is keeping AMD in check and I predict a turn around in performance in the next 10-15 years in favor of AMD. Intel has no real aspiration of keeping this lead going - why would they? They have the most innovative product right now. AMD is the brainchild of the next big CPU. Ask any economist, it always works like this. Rarely do you see a company maintain utter dominance of a market.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

This is a prime example of Intel's marketing strategy, advertise a cpu at 2.6 that runs at 2.8-3.2 depending on what app its running. It never runs 2.6 unless you disable turbo mode.

Upendra09

Distinguished
The I5 750 beat the 965 in 23 out of 25 tests on A and A tech's review. It's not fanboism to not buy intel.. It's actually knowing how to read and buying the better product.

Newegg :

I5 750 - 199.99
Cheapest 1156 MB - 89.99

Total : 289.99

X4 965 - 185.99
Cheapest AM3 Board - 54.99

Total : 240.98

Difference : 49.01

If you're too cheap to spend the extra 50 bucks for the BETTER product then god help you

I am on a tight budget and i can't afford taht. the thing is for 50 dollars less you are also getting support for newer processors. The thuban will be an AM3 chip, so if i get an AM3 mobo now i will be set in terms of upgradibility for the next few years, and it will be the best the flagship of AMD

if i get the i5 on
1156 then i am settling for second best, i won't be able to get the best i7 because that one won't have the integrated pci e controller and such.

the thing is with AMD you can keep the same parts and only change one at a time and get the flagship with the right mobo, and it isn't as expensive as buying an i7, Triple channel DDR3 , and an X58 mobo: their flagship setup

with amd i can almost the same performance results for atleast 150 USD less

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
its not an excuse, its the truth, people think that the 750 is a 2.6 ghz cpu when truthfully it never runs that slow, even with 4 cores running. My comment has nothing to do with performance, its a statement on how intel is marketing thier new chips.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

What are you talking about? The i5 has the intergrated pci-e controller.

Upendra09

Distinguished

Yeah it does but my point was the i5 is a second rate chip, not the flagship of Intel

the i7 is obviously going to be more expensive

the phenom is AMD's flagship and if you bought the mobo RAM and CPU together.... the AMD setup will be atleast 150 USD cheaper

note i am talking about the best setup here so i mean things like: X58 mobo , Triple channel DDR3 RAM, i7 920

and for AMD: 790x mobo, phenom 965, dual channel DDR3 ram

now if you compare the phenom to the i5; the second best lineup, and u say that i5 better than the phenom; true

then u say the i5 is worth the 50 dollars extra: false

with the phenom you are getting DDR3 RAM, flagship processor, and AM3 socket which is the newest. Now in the i5 you are settling for the second best. less features in it than the i7 and phenom.

now the thing with phenom is it is on the newest socket and it is the flagship so now the new processors that are AMD's future flagship will be supported on the AM3 mobo, like Thuban the 6 core behemoth. now whether you need six cores or not is a different topic.

With the i5 you are settling for second best and when a new processor comes out, you can't get it because you have an inferior socket. even right now, u can get an i7 for the 1156 socket but it doesn't have all the features of the original i7.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Since the 965 gets bested in most things by i5 "second rate chip," does that make the 965 a third or fourth rate chip? :kaola: :kaola: :kaola: :kaola:

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I have a feeling Thuban isn't even going to match the lowest level 1136's

I agree with you for the most part. I dont see Thuban, being 45nm, having very high clocks due to the heat it will output. If that is the case, Thuban will only win the heavily muti-threaded benchmarks, and in gaming i would think the performance would go down compared to the 965.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

You also could buy VIA's flagship processor, but I dont want it.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Let's see, I am an idiot.

Who gets the facts all confused? Me or You?

Who gives bad advice everytime they try to help someone? Me or You?

Who has no clue what they are talking about 99% of the time? Me or You?

OK, I am the idiot. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Status
Not open for further replies.