What Settings Do I Change To Overclock My CPU?

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I Got A AMD FX-8120 And I So Far Have A Stock Coolor And A Want To Overclock Will This Work? My Options Are CPU FSB And CPU Multiplyer And AMD Turbo Core What Should I Change?

I always drop the ram speed first; (1600 is set manually at 1333), then overclock the cpu fsb by 20-25% so cpuz will detect the 1333 as 1600. This usually results in a stable overclock without having to change the voltage settings. The stock cooler should be able to handle this overclock with no heat issues.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
And you seemed to know so much about processors over here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/322685-10-people
If You Mean What You Said
That's Another Topic, Im Just Trying To Be Safe About My CPU You Know?
If You Were Being Sarcastic
Different Topic, Diferent Story!

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I always drop the ram speed first; (1600 is set manually at 1333), then overclock the cpu fsb by 20-25% so cpuz will detect the 1333 as 1600. This usually results in a stable overclock without having to change the voltage settings. The stock cooler should be able to handle this overclock with no heat issues.
Yes, but why is it set to 1333 i thought my RAM was 1600 my ram said it could go that fast and my motherboard supports it to. So im alright with 1333 but if it could help me overclock im happy, im just not sure how safe adjasting the CPU FSB it seems dangeruis to alter the CPU like that at %20-%25 are you sure that would be safe im running at 200 so far and one more thing does decresing the ram from 1600 to 1333 really help and how?

The ram speed will often increase by the same percentage as the cpu fsb. The goal is to get the ram running stable. If you don't believe me, try the overclocking forums, or take my suggestion. The worst that can happen is a no post situation; then you simply reset the bios by removing the board battery with the system unplugged.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
The ram speed will often increase by the same percentage as the cpu fsb. The goal is to get the ram running stable. If you don't believe me, try the overclocking forums, or take my suggestion. The worst that can happen is a no post situation; then you simply reset the bios by removing the board battery with the system unplugged.
Yes or can i just click my clear CMOS button?