Continous beep...

bclark

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hello, my computer starts a continuous beep when Win Xp loads. Not on power up, but after you get the Win splash screen. It will continue to beep until I select shutdown and then it stops. The computer shuts down normally without the beep. This computer has worked good for about 2 years. I have cleaned all the fans and they seem to be working good. I have also replaced the keyboard, reseated boards. This is an Intel MB. Thanks...BC

What video card do you have ? - some of them will make a continuous beep sound if the extra 6-pin or 8-pin power connector comes loose - (the card still gets enough power from the PCI-e slot to run in 2d mode but will emit the beep to let you know it can not get enough power to run in 3d mode) - so check the connectors on the video card !

bclark

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

I have a GeForce 7300 256Mb, I have checked all of my connectors and reseated the board, but I also have an on-board video source. I will remove my GeForce and plug into the on-board. I can't do that until tomorrow. That sounds like a possibility and will try it. From what I been reading it could be the Power Supply or the MB (PCHell.com). It was an expensive Itel MB, so the PS (which is a Thermatake 500w) is my next try. Thanks for the info, Bruce

bclark

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Thank you for your input, I will put that on my list. It is strange because it only beeps when in Win XP. Maybe it is just coincidence with the loading of one of the drivers. Thanks, I will check. Bruce