Cannot use MB RAID or SSD will not boot in AHCI. HELP!!!

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, so I installed 3 new drives to be setup with RAID 5 to hold data files. The OS is on my SSD using AHCI. In order to use the motherboard RAID function, I have to change from AHCI to RAID. However, when I do so Win7 will not boot and simply hangs up. Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall the OS? Can I use a software RAID utility for these data files? I do not want to affect the SSD performance, so what are my options at this point? Any suggestions? Thanks. :D

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

If I swap back, how would I install the RAID drivers before a RAID exists in the BIOS?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

Ok, so if I setup the first boot drive as a RAID drive, then I have to reinstall windows, etc???

The last time I used a mainboard's RAID capability was when Abit was still the overclocker's choice for mainboards. However, I believe that you would indeed have to re-install because technically it's a RAID array, even though it's only a single-drive array. I might be wrong though. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or refute my statements.

Edit: Saw you had a post while I was typing this up. You can buy a RAID card, but it's unnecessary.

Software-based RAID is built into the operating system. As far as I know, only Windows server versions have it, as well as some Linux distros and other OSes. I've never seen any other software RAID.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
You can still install the drivers even the device does not show up. You do NOT have to format and reinstall. You can also change the drivers afterwards using the repair option. Select Repiar, load the drivers and it should boot.

TRENDING THREADS