Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot use MB RAID or SSD will not boot in AHCI. HELP!!!

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2011 3:48:14 PM

Ok, so I installed 3 new drives to be setup with RAID 5 to hold data files. The OS is on my SSD using AHCI. In order to use the motherboard RAID function, I have to change from AHCI to RAID. However, when I do so Win7 will not boot and simply hangs up. Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall the OS? Can I use a software RAID utility for these data files? I do not want to affect the SSD performance, so what are my options at this point? Any suggestions? Thanks. :D 

More about : raid ssd boot ahci

Best solution

August 6, 2011 4:43:25 PM

You will likely have to set up a one-drive array for the SSD and a multi-drive array for the RAID-5 in the RAID BIOS. You will have to re-install for it to function.
a b G Storage
August 6, 2011 7:27:10 PM

If you do this you'll most likey have to install the RAID drivers for the non-raid partitiion. The hanging is due to the driver issue. Swap back, install your RAID drivers first.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2011 4:45:01 PM

tokencode said:
If you do this you'll most likey have to install the RAID drivers for the non-raid partitiion. The hanging is due to the driver issue. Swap back, install your RAID drivers first.

If I swap back, how would I install the RAID drivers before a RAID exists in the BIOS?
m
l
August 8, 2011 5:56:28 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
You will likely have to set up a one-drive array for the SSD and a multi-drive array for the RAID-5 in the RAID BIOS. You will have to re-install for it to function.

Ok, so if I setup the first boot drive as a RAID drive, then I have to reinstall windows, etc???
m
l
August 8, 2011 5:57:13 PM

Is this the way I should be doing this, or should I simply buy a RAID controller card? Isn't there software that can do this or will it slow the speed of the drives???
m
l
August 8, 2011 6:03:32 PM

The last time I used a mainboard's RAID capability was when Abit was still the overclocker's choice for mainboards. However, I believe that you would indeed have to re-install because technically it's a RAID array, even though it's only a single-drive array. I might be wrong though. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or refute my statements.

Edit: Saw you had a post while I was typing this up. You can buy a RAID card, but it's unnecessary.

Software-based RAID is built into the operating system. As far as I know, only Windows server versions have it, as well as some Linux distros and other OSes. I've never seen any other software RAID.
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:38:52 AM

So I really have to reformat my ssd and reinstall windows from scratch? That sucks!
m
l
August 9, 2011 2:23:26 PM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 17, 2011 5:21:04 AM

You can still install the drivers even the device does not show up. You do NOT have to format and reinstall. You can also change the drivers afterwards using the repair option. Select Repiar, load the drivers and it should boot.
m
l
August 17, 2011 1:01:43 PM

Really? I can just startup with the OS disc, choose repair, and install the RAID drivers?
m
l
!