Sign in with
Your question

MSata???

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2011 4:04:18 PM

I have a question regarding my motherboard. I have a Gigabyte Z68P-UD3 which accomodates a mSata port and in my readings I basically get the jist of it all though I would like some clarification on the usefullness of such device.

1] Is it a usefull investment?

2] What will it improve?

3] Gigabyte claim up to 60% improvement on physical drive performance, is this concievable or not?

4] Where does one purchase said mSata SDD device?

From what I gather it is compatible with Intel SDD 311 though any more infomation on compatibility will be appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : msata

a c 143 G Storage
August 6, 2011 7:53:41 PM

1) No... It would just be a better investiment to get a straight SSD, instead.

2) It is used for SSD Cache that you get with the Z68 boards. It will only benefit mechanical drives trurly...

3) Maybe on a mechanical drive but I doubt it is 60% improvement.

4) See the above post :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2011 7:50:25 PM

tecmo34 said:

2) It is used for SSD Cache that you get with the Z68 boards. It will only benefit mechanical drives trurly...

Does this mean that the actual OS and other system files are housed on the HDD and it uses the mSATA SSD to cashe for important stuff to speed everything up?

If so I could see how that would improve things at or above 60%. It would also change my recommendation. I would go with the cheapo 16GB MyDigitalSSD on that site for only $39.99.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
August 10, 2011 9:04:41 PM

SSDAmen said:
Does this mean that the actual OS and other system files are housed on the HDD and it uses the mSATA SSD to cashe for important stuff to speed everything up?

Correct... the OS other system files would be on the actual HDD and not the SSD. Is is strictly a Cache Drive.
m
l
August 11, 2011 1:52:28 AM

tecmo34 said:
Correct... the OS other system files would be on the actual HDD and not the SSD. Is is strictly a Cache Drive.

Nice, the SSD better be able to run like mad. Probably need SLC flash to take that kind-of abuse without jamming the system up.

Time for me to do some research.

m
l
August 11, 2011 5:15:55 PM

After some research I found that MLC may do the trick as long as your system is not writing to the same cells over and over and uses the entire SSD evenly. Still doing more research.

m
l
!