Your question

How to Clone broken Notebook Hard Disk into another

Tags:
  • Notebooks
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 13, 2012 2:55:00 AM

I have a broken(mother borad) notebook recently with Hard Disk still working fine.

Is it possible to clone the content of Old Hard Disk into my new Notebook?

With exact content; by this I mean same installed programs, same Admin password, same MSN passwords ... etc.

More about : clone broken notebook hard disk

March 13, 2012 8:22:54 AM

It is possible... I see a few possible options to keep using your licences and passwords:

1. just replace the new hard drive with the old on the new notebook, it will probably not boot but a repair-reinstall of Windows XP should solve the problem.
2. buy a USB 2.5 enclosure to use the old HD as external USB drive. Then clone the OS on the external drive and install it on the new HD in dual boot.. it will probably require a repair-reinstall to boot.
3. Download the Hiren's Boot CD ISO and burn it on a CD, and use it to recover your applications licences and passwords from the old HD connected as external USB drive. Use those licences and passwords to install the same applications on the new notebook.
4. You can also move your applications from the old HD to the new HD with Application Mover http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm
m
l
March 13, 2012 12:23:21 PM

It's most likely an OEM copy of windows, which means it's tied to the motherboard. It would be illegal to use the OS in another system. If you contact microsoft and explain your problem, they will most likely give you another activation code for free.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 4:51:48 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
It's most likely an OEM copy of windows, which means it's tied to the motherboard. It would be illegal to use the OS in another system. If you contact microsoft and explain your problem, they will most likely give you another activation code for free.

I wouldn't worry about the license of Windows XP, since I have a new XP license for the new Notebook as well.

My trouble is that my wife's broken notebook had a lot of stuff store in that hard disk... which can be read...

but the MSN, Skype, password with was previousely rememberd by the application itself. Also google chrome remember password function of different websites.

With my wife's poor forgotten password memroy... and my lazyness.... I just thought that if I can some how clone those settings. or copy paste msn onto another XP... would that work?
m
l
March 14, 2012 4:52:15 AM

Hawkeye22 said:

I wouldn't worry about the license of Windows XP, since I have a new XP license for the new Notebook as well.

My trouble is that my wife's broken notebook had a lot of stuff store in that hard disk... which can be read...

but the MSN, Skype, password with was previousely rememberd by the application itself. Also google chrome remember password function of different websites.

With my wife's poor forgotten password memroy... and my lazyness.... I just thought that if I can some how clone those settings. or copy paste msn onto another XP... would that work?
m
l
March 14, 2012 4:53:30 AM

Hawkeye22 said:

m
l
March 14, 2012 5:05:06 AM

gwu_joe said:
I have a broken(mother borad) notebook recently with Hard Disk still working fine.

Is it possible to clone the content of Old Hard Disk into my new Notebook?

With exact content; by this I mean same installed programs, same Admin password, same MSN passwords ... etc.

For the sake of argument, simply is there a way to clone MSN application into another new Notebook and still remember MSN password like it did in the old computer.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:43:28 PM

I don't use MSN, so don't have an answer for you. You can try chicano's suggestion. Sometimes cloning a drive and running a repair install on it works.

In the future, I recommend that your wife use a password utility like password safe or keypass.
m
l
!