Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

H100 moisture in bag?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 5, 2012 3:36:55 PM

Hey Guys,

Just ordered a new rig MOST of which arrived (except my case).. and I totally forgot to buy thermal paste.. so I'll have to pick that up before I build.

I wanted to know though - I opened the box up for my Corsair H100 and inside the bag.. there are a few drops of moisture on the inside of the bag - slightly greenish hue. I can only assume it's coolent?

From a cursory inspection I don't see anything that would resemble leaky. Though I'll have to take it out of the bag and look closer (I kept it in so I could take a picture)

Is that going to be ok?? is it a normal happenstance with these things?? Basically should I go ahead with my build. lol.


(On that note - if anyone has any recommends for thermal paste when I go to my shop (not where I bought the H100 or I'd bring it with me to check!))

More about : h100 moisture bag

January 5, 2012 6:36:52 PM

-UPDATE-

Contacted Corsair - the fellow advised me if ANY moisture is there - it's best not to use the unit as it's meant to be completely sealed. And who knows if I turn it on it could start spewing water everywhere.

Contacted NCIX.com where I ordered it from... he requested the picture from the above post so he could "investigate" .............................SOooo waiting on that instead of building my rig.

:( 


also: realized the h100 has a thermal 'pad' but not sure if it's large enough for the i7 3930k - if anyone has comments or advise related to that???
Score
0

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
January 5, 2012 6:40:09 PM

A lot of people use this cooler on i7's and they should all be the same physical size. In any sense, the CPU top is really just an IHS that covers the actual chips, which are in the center of the CPU.

As for the coolant drops in the bag, I wouldn't use it unless you have a way to power it on using a fan header from another PC to see. It's a sealed (or should be) cooler, so there should never be any coolant escaping. RMA, get a new one.
Share
January 5, 2012 6:52:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
A lot of people use this cooler on i7's and they should all be the same physical size. In any sense, the CPU top is really just an IHS that covers the actual chips, which are in the center of the CPU.

As for the coolant drops in the bag, I wouldn't use it unless you have a way to power it on using a fan header from another PC to see. It's a sealed (or should be) cooler, so there should never be any coolant escaping. RMA, get a new one.



Yeah I suspect the default thermal pad will be sufficient.. I was just curious if aftermarket thermal would have a significant impact.

Also yeah... regarding the liquid - pretty much where I am at. I'm waiting for NCIX to get back to me. I'm just hopeful I can get a fast solution to this.
(A refund and I'll buy it locally even) - I really want this rig up and running.


I know it seemed newbish to ask "hey there's water in the bag of my closed loop cooler" but I wasn't sure.. maybe it was common and just from when they package it after filling them or something..
Score
0
January 5, 2012 7:03:25 PM

A friend of mine received one like this, he ignored it and water leaked onto his vid card.
Score
0
a c 145 K Overclocking
January 5, 2012 7:44:38 PM

I was attracted to these buggers for a while and even bought one for a build once .... a lil one (Antec 620 equivalent of H50) ....it didn't fit ....oddly enough I replaced it with the behemoth known as the Silver Arrow and that fit just dandy.

But thinking about that phone call from someone I built for asking me why I put water thingie in his now ruined $2k box, gave me the shivers ..... until they stray covering water damage in the warrnty, my interest has waned.
Score
0
January 5, 2012 8:49:48 PM

rocknrollz said:
A friend of mine received one like this, he ignored it and water leaked onto his vid card.


Jeeze.. see that's frightening.

JackNaylorPE
Quote:
I was attracted to these buggers for a while and even bought one for a build once .... a lil one (Antec 620 equivalent of H50) ....it didn't fit ....oddly enough I replaced it with the behemoth known as the Silver Arrow and that fit just dandy.

But thinking about that phone call from someone I built for asking me why I put water thingie in his now ruined $2k box, gave me the shivers ..... until they stray covering water damage in the warrnty, my interest has waned.


Yeah - I can see it... I'm still confident it will make a good cooler if I can get a good unit. As long as it's sealed up I suspect it will be fine. My box I ordered with this is also in the 2k range (i think.. 23-ish?)
Score
0
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 5, 2012 9:09:50 PM

I haven't heard much on H100's leaking, that was a concern on the H50's when they first came out, though. However, leaks are a concern with any liquid cooling solution- but I still don't trust anything that I didn't put together, fill and test myself.
Score
0
January 13, 2012 5:09:56 AM

Best answer selected by jwsutts.
Score
0
!